Engine product "Restore"

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am wondering if anyone has experience with this product. I just saw a commercial on TV for it and they claim it improves compression and horsepower. They also claimed it makes the engine last longer.

Just curious........

I believe the Seafoam product decarb procedure is supposed to increase compression as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Engine product "Restore"

I wouldn't try it in a two stroke and I feel the best products we have used over and over are Sea Foam, Stabil and most recently the Startron fuel additives.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used Restore many years ago on a 1951 Mercedes 220 that had 300,000+ miles on it. It improved oil pressure and performance.

No way would I even dream of putting that stuff in a 2 stroke.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I used this stuff when I was a teenager in trade school in my first car. The results; I don't think it made a lick of difference other than making my wallet 6 bucks lighter.

You have to keep 2 things in mind. If it really worked as good as they claim, how come everybody with a clapped out engine isn't using it? Also the romantic thought of that stuff filling the pores of your cylinder walls is nice, but what can it do to your already worn bearing surfaces?

I will say I have used Seafoam for decarbing an engine. It works really well at breaking up carbon on valves and in combustion chambers. It will also fog a neighborhood for Mosquitoes like no other product when you drive the vehicle after the decarb...:)

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys-
thanks for the replies, I have a 55 hp evinrude and have used both startron and sea foam in the tank as a fuel stabilizer. I have yet to use the high mix ratio of sea foam in a gallon of gas like the FAQ suggests. The one thing that concerns me is that my mechanic told me that alcohol based additives are bad for the reeds in a two stroke. I could be wrong but the sea foam sure smelled alcohol based. Any ideas??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You need a new mechanic. Nothing in SeaFoam will harm reeds at the recommended concentrations. There are a lot more delicate parts in more sophisticated engines than a two stroke that are not bothered by SeaFoam. The important thing to consider about additives is WHY you need to use it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thick oil will increase compression and oil pressure....initially. Personally I would not touch the stuff. Low compression fix the motor.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need a new mechanic. Nothing in SeaFoam will harm reeds at the recommended concentrations. There are a lot more delicate parts in more sophisticated engines than a two stroke that are not bothered by SeaFoam. The important thing to consider about additives is WHY you need to use it.

My mechanic said that alcohol based additives are bad for the PLASTIC reed valves, as well as all plastic parts (carb float). I have seen fuel stabilizers (startron i think) that market "non alcohol based" for this reason.

I understand using seafoam as a fuel stabilizer at the recommended concentrations may not cause harm, however, this is not what I am talking about. There are MANY posts about running a whole bottle (16oz) with a gallon of gas to "decarb" a two stroke. This is well above the ratio recommended on the back of the bottle. There are also several posts about major loss of compression after performing a "decarb" with seafoam at these concentration levels.

Just trying to clarify....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I use it in my truck and it does really really well but I don't think it is for a stroke, it is made to be circulated though the engine not burned like in a 2 stroke so I don't think it would work in that application.

Years ago I had an old Mazda that was pretty well used up, it would top out at 55mph and wouldn't go much more than that, I put some restore in it and my first trip to work I got it up to 70 so the stuff absolutely works.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

glengold, " There are also several posts about major loss of compression after performing a "decarb" with seafoam at these concentration levels.

"WHERE????

there are far more good results than what you are talking about.

those engines were dead prior to the seafoam treatment.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

TASH: Approximately a year ago, there were a couple of posts on the Chrysler Crew about major engine damage to a previously good running engine after using Seafoam. Most likely the gas treatment loosened old varnish deposits in the fuel system, caused a carb to go lean, and resulted in detonation which destroyed a piston--YES--using Seafoam or other "Snake oils" CAN result in engine damage. Personally, I would never use it, and am leery about recommending it, but that's just my opinion for what it's worth.