• Cracked head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Now for the last 2 months my boat engine has been running perfect short of a little funk in the carb.. I went to go play with the tub tonight.. You know hit all the check points.. After looking over outdrive, I hooked the water up and climbed in the boat... Pumped the throttle twice and fired it off.. Noticed a rough idle.Never has done that before. I couldn't clean it up either.. Hmmmm strange... Noticed I started having a little oil(normal color) leak on the right side of the carb... Well big deal.. It's a GM product.. Common leak.. So I yank out the dipstick low and behold.. WATER IN THE CRANKCASE...:mad: Now WTH.. I have never got it hot.. Previous owner told me he never had a overheating problem with it.. It runs a sweet 160 all the time.. The exhaust manifolds are so cool u could put ur face on them...
Going to go pick up a new leak down tester tomorrow.. Haven't had to use one in along time.. I am thinking since I have this engine miss, using one will give me a idea which bank has the problem.. Going to try and figure out a way to pressure up the block.. No sure how to do it..
Now I know the first thing I am going to hear is cracked block.. I just don't see it running perfect for 2 months with a cracked block.. Plus this is deep south Texas.. If we get 4 nights of 32 degree weather a year it's a record..
I even called the guy I bought it from.. He said he has never had any water in the crankcase.. said oil was always real clean.. Has been clean the whole time I have had it..

This one has me scratching my head.. My buddy who loves GM(everyone I owned was poop) said he thinks it my just be a blown head gasket and or a intake gasket.. I told him that I was thinking it is the and before I could finish he said right bank and I said yeah.. So I will see.. I sure don't wanta have to replace the block.. Yanking the engine doesn't look fun without a overhead crane.....

All opinions are welcome.. Plus I finish all my treads to the end so others may learn from my plight..:p

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in the crankcase

Howdy,

I even called the guy I bought it from.. He said he has never had any water in the crankcase.. said oil was always real clean..
Yup. They always say that.

You're wasting your time with polls and asking for opinions.

Isolate the exhaust manifolds and risers and then pressure check the cooling system.

Rule out each possibility.

Oil in the water is most frequently a cracked block, head or possibly a rusted through intake manifold leaking into the "valley".

Cheers,

Rick

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Rick said your wasting your time with a pole!! You'll get as many answers as there are people and only part of them will be right.
1st do a compression test.All the results should be close.Look at the plugs for burn patterns.
2 low cylinders next to each other,a possible head gasket.
Next manifold/risers.Pull them and look for water in the passages.
It's an 89 something and the mani/riser probably took a crap.They last sometimes 20 years and sometimes 5.While it's off flow test it.
It should dump out as much as your putting to it.Or it could have rusted through into the exhaust passage.J

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Plug em off with broom sticks or something?? Then how to connect air to the block?? Tie in with a regulated hose from a air compressor??

I know the polls are a waste( I do what needs to be done and what I think anyhow), but fun anyway.. As far as opinions go.. I take em as they are.. Opinions.. I guess mainly what would help is tricks on how to pressurize the block.. What's common failure... That kinda good stuff..

The previous owner was a really nice fellow.. Not to say I trust anyone when buying used stuff.. It's a risk.. Funny thing is I have run the hell outta this boat while I have had it and I would think by now it woulda filled up the crankcase with water and or I would have noticed it 3 days ago when I checked the oil..:confused: Will the block crack at 160? Seems strange...

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Next manifold/risers.Pull them and look for water in the passages.
It's an 89 something and the mani/riser probably took a crap.They last sometimes 20 years and sometimes 5.While it's off flow test it.
It should dump out as much as your putting to it.Or it could have rusted through into the exhaust passage.J

Would they cause the engine to miss too? From what? Water enter the cylinder on the exhaust stroke? It's a 87 so it is possible... The engine is 7 years old, but found out tonight that he didn't replace the manifolds back then.. Just had em sandblasted...... I miss my outboard.... It may have been a old POS johnny. But at least it didn't cost a fortune to fix

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My engine was running fine but had a small rustcrack in the cylinder. when i ran it on land with with water connected it dident take in water but as soon as it came down in the lake and the water system had a little resistans from passing out the water came in directly in the oil. But this was a seawater cooled engine, didient se if you had an open or closed water cooling

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Plug em off with broom sticks or something?? Then how to connect air to the block?? Tie in with a regulated hose from a air compressor??

Basically, yes. there's hoses going to the manifold/risers that you would disconnect and plug.

Then use your compressor to pressure it up. ..... no more than 15-20 psi is needed. Use a valve between the compressor and the engine so you can turn it off. (use a gage on the engine to observe the pressure after you close the valve.)

A compression test is probably good too but it won't necessarily identify a cracked block......but it might identify a cracked head.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Well I went on and yanked the plugs.. All 3 on the starboard side was drenched with water:eek:.. Port was dry as a bone.. I was pretty sure by that point I knew which side was a problem.. I started freaking out a bit think dang what a failure if it cracked the block or head.. Well yanked off the exhaust manifold. Thank God those ragged bolts came off easy.. Anyhow.. Look at my pictures.(that shiny stuff is water droplets). Pretty sure I have a manifold failure... Don't even think I need to do any test to the engine.. May do some to give me a project while I wait for funds to purchase some manifolds(if I can find some).. Also thinking of ways to get the cylinders dried out.(oil the hell out of them???).. Winterizing is going to be interesting.. No fogging the engine this year..

You realize how dinky this engine is with that huge hunk of cast-iron off..:cool:

Attachments

• mainfold.jpg
    mainfold.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • mainifold2.jpg
    mainifold2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • mainfold3.jpg
    mainfold3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • block.jpg
    block.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • block 2.jpg
    block 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

My engine was running fine but had a small rustcrack in the cylinder. when i ran it on land with with water connected it dident take in water but as soon as it came down in the lake and the water system had a little resistans from passing out the water came in directly in the oil. But this was a seawater cooled engine, didient se if you had an open or closed water cooling
Funny thing is mine didnt take a drop on while I was at the river sunday.. I hooked it to the hose and got water.. go figure :(

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You have the wing style manifolds.No risers.I always thought they were a pain and were trouble.
You can replace them with the center riser. Barr makes a good product.J

ziggy

Admiral

Pretty sure I have a manifold failure.
when i got water in my oil. i used this as a guide.. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_13.pdf
my manifold looked rusty on the outside so it was suspicious to me first.
this is what i found..
IMG_0653.jpg

to find that, i removed the manifold and filled up the water jacket w/water. by morning the water jacket was empty, the exhaust runner was full...

45Auto

Commander

Joshua Nichols said:
So I yank out the dipstick low and behold.. OIL IN THE CRANKCASE...:mad:

"OIL IN THE CRANKCASE" - you seem surprised by this - what exactly were you expecting to find in your crankcase?

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

For your boat I would look for some used manifolds. I have seen them for around $30 or less. eBay will be more expensive, Craigslist a better bet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For your boat I would look for some used manifolds. I have seen them for around $30 or less. eBay will be more expensive, Craigslist a better bet.

Buying used exhaust manifolds is buying someone elses junk. The used manifolds are probably what killed the engine on the sellers boat, now they want to sell them to some unsuspecting buyer ????? Scary.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That would be a HUGE mistake.

I'm with Don. You're just potentially replacing junk with more junk.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

"OIL IN THE CRANKCASE" - you seem surprised by this - what exactly were you expecting to find in your crankcase?

It's so cute when you get nailed by the grammar and spelling Nazis on this forum.. So correcting my mistake is the only info you could add??? Wow thanks

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be a HUGE mistake.

I'm with Don. You're just potentially replacing junk with more junk.

That depends on why the boat was scraped in the first place. If the transom rotten and the owner is parting the boat out, the engine parts are likely fine. I forget that you salt water guys have issues with manifolds. In fresh water areas like where I live there are lots of good used manifolds to be had cheap, in fact I have never seen one rust through. If the boat is a 1987, the rest of the parts on that engine are used anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.