lower unit removal 57 seahorse

FHB

Seaman
Folks,

I am trying to remove the lower unit to service the water pump. I removed all the bolts and the lower unit fell 1/2 inch and stopped. I removed an access plate on the port side of the engine and found an aluminum water passage I didn't know how to remove. I see the shift rod between the two halves of the motor. I tried moving the flywheel as per the manual but it made bad noises. 2 posts suggest just pushing harder, which makes me nervous. Any advice?

Thanks as always,

Frank

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: lower unit removal 57 seahorse

Don't push harder...tell us the hp of your motor for help!

Mas

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's a 10hp by looking back at previous posts. There is a cover held on my 2 screws in the middle of the leg, remove the cover and you will find the shift rod coupler. Completely remove the top screw from the coupler, the lower will then drop. Observe the shift rod, it has a detent where the screw goes , remember that when reinstalling.

FHB

Seaman

The access plate was right in front of me. Sometimes I worry about myself.

I got the lower unit off. It was filthy. The central hub on the impeller was rotted out but all the pieces were there. The water tube stayed up in the upper(exhaust housing). I broke off a rotten aluminum screw holding the water pump down and had to drill and tap it and get a new screw- all back together.

Try as I might, I can't get the lower unit back on. It ends up about 1/2 inch short. The shaft is down through the pump. The shift rod is not in the way. It feels like the water tube is the main problem.I put a film of grease on the grommet. I put the old gromet back on but that didn't help. The manual covers several diffferent motors and doesn't help me out. I tried turning the prop shaft and also the flywheel a few degrees.I have the 10 hp. I hate forcing things. I walked away from it for tonight.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Other than some touch up paint this is the last thing to do short of taking it on a shakedown cruise.

Thanks

Frank

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You probably aren't turning the shaft/flywheel far enough. I could possibly take as much as 45 degrees.

Did you make sure the o-ring on the top of the drive shaft is good, and did you smear a bit of grease on it?

FHB

Seaman

erratum- deleted

Last edited:

FHB

Seaman

There is a itsy bitsy little BB sized nubbin on he shaft that must articulate with the notch in the impeller.. I probably need to rotate the flywheel to lign that all up. It is itsy bitsy and close up to the bottom of the exhaust unit. Should I put an O ring above this?

I would be glad to summarize all this for the frequently asked file if someone would like me to.

I'll let you know if I can get it reassembled tommorrow.

Thanks

FB

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The O ring goes at the top of the driveshaft in the groove. About 1" from the top where it goes into the engine.

It does sound like you are not turning the flywheel enough to re-install. I keep turning mine until it pops in. Could take a lot. It does not hurt to keep turning it. And the water pump must be reinstalled first with the nub lining up with the notch in the impeller. That should all be done before you are re-attaching the LU.

I have the parts manual for that engine if you PM me with your request and your email address.

FHB

Seaman

Folks,

I finally got it all together. I started it in a 35 gallon barrell of water. The throttle was wide open and it was in gear- it blew water all over the place. It smoked like a church on fire, but it runs pretty well and it sounds great for a 53 year old motor. Water is comming out of the exhaust.

Shake down cruise tommorrow. I am looking forward to this!

Thanks for all the great help.

Frank