Where to buy cover support slats?

yorab

Ensign
I'd like to purchase material to make cover supports that mount in the brackets on my gunwales. I don't have a boat store nearby so I'd like to find something at Lowe's/HD or some other popular store. Has anybody used anything from a home improvement store for slats? Did it need to be cut down or did you find something to fit as is? Thanks.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Where to buy cover support slats?

Cabelas carries the slats and mounts for them. Probably Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops would as well, though I'm not sure on them.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Should have read your message more carefully - seems you are only looking for the slats and you already have the mounts. Do you have access to a friend with a woodworking shop? Just use a straight grained, clear (no knots) piece of wood, planed down to 1/4 - 3/8 inch. Cut to length to get the right bow you want.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Instead of wood, I would recommend strips of 1/4" or 3/8" starboard. It's flexible, won't rot or splinter.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

clear screen lattice. 1/4 x 1 3/8

yorab

Ensign

Thanks for the replies. I now think I know what I can use. I'll combine a few of your ideas and I'll try to find some lattice strips at Lowes or Home Depot. I'm thinking of using some of the plastic divider strips or lattice caps that Lowes sells. The cap has a U-shaped cross section and the divider has an H-shaped cross section. If I cut that just right, I should be able to get a rectangular cross section out of it that is approximately the size of my slat sockets. I may not even have to cut the entire length of the strip; just the ends that slip into the sockets. However, if the strip is too stiff with its original cross section, then I'll cut the entire length. I'll take a closer look when I get to Lowes. If it seems that the plastic won't work, then I'll go with the wood slats.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

That Azec at Home Depot is pretty tough stuff too, think they stock some 1/4 inch in 6 inch planks, just cut down the width.

yorab

Ensign

So I bought a lattice divider from Lowes and cut it so that it would fit into the mounts. It was nice and flexible but it twisted and held that twisted shape. The boat cover sunk into the boat when the slat twisted and collected water. No good. Then I ordered a wooden slat made specifically for boat cover support by Attwood. Shipping was much cheaper than I thought it was going to be. However, the wood twisted just like the plastic lattice divider. I eventually went with a support pole. It had a plastic base, multiple sections of plastic pipe and a cap. The cap had a few slots for straps that helped with holding up the cover. It is working well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Support.jpg
    Support.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Slat.jpg
    Slat.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0

reel clownz

Seaman

You can go to home depot and the sell flat 2in wide pieces of aluminum usually they only come in 8 ft pieces but you could screw or weld 2 together , also, if you can find them. some stores carry vinal railing, but there is a trim piece you can use and i think they come in 10 or 12 ft lengths you could use any of those, bass pro shops sells a support system for like 15 or 20 bucks too. check that out

yorab

Ensign

Here's what the plastic bow looked like after being in place for a week or two. You can see the twist in it.

Attachments

• Bow.jpg
    Bow.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

Moody Blue

Captain

Yep, aluminum flatbar is THE way to go. Its light, strong, won't rot and it won't twist. Most building centers carry a basic selection, and failing that, look in the yellow pages for metal suppliers.

You need to be sure there is "enough" of a bow in whatever material you use to give it the inherent strength.