install bellows and new shift cable

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gimbal bearing is in,water hose is on and all surfaces are cleaned and ready for bellows and shift cable .What order do I take to install the rest?...and how do you get the new shift cable thru the shift cable bellows ,it just dont fit....Bob:confused:

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: install bellows and new shift cable

I put the upper bellow on first. I put the side on the transom first. Used the glue, then clamped her, did the same to the bottom then let it sit overnight for the glue to hold it better. Then put em on the outdrive. I didn't use any bellow tools. Should have, but didn't

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I put the upper bellow on first. I put the side on the transom first. Used the glue, then clamped her, did the same to the bottom then let it sit overnight for the glue to hold it better. Then put em on the outdrive. I didn't use any bellow tools. Should have, but didn't

Uhhhhh, he is asking about putting the shift cable through the shift cable bellows, not how to put the bellows on the boat. :p

The shift cable fits TIGHT in that bellows. REALLY TIGHT, but it will fit.
Personally, I use Mercury Power Tuner for outboards, on the cable and the small end of the bellows. Makes it so slick the cable ALMOST slips onto the cable.......... Just kidding about it being easy, but it will fit.

bobhol

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I am asking both those questions!!Thanks to both of you....What is the black insert bushing in the cable kit? Where does it go?....and am I correct in that the winding around the cable isinstalled just as the cable comes thru the transom on the inside of the boat as a heat shield ?my exhaust manifold is on the other side....hmmm

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I am asking both those questions!!Thanks to both of you....What is the black insert bushing in the cable kit? Where does it go?....and am I correct in that the winding around the cable isinstalled just as the cable comes thru the transom on the inside of the boat as a heat shield ?my exhaust manifold is on the other side....hmmm

As far as I know the black insert bushing goes on inside the boat right where the shift cable comes through the transom.