Oil Pan 3.0 merc

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Pan 3.0 merc

Only if you have the room to lower it all the way to come out.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the real question is could you get it back on, sealed and torqued properly so it won't leak....
I doubt it.

ziggy

Admiral

i couldn't on the boat in my sig.
had me a rust pin hole in my pan this summer. not a chance of getting it off or on w/o engine removal...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Anything is Possibly,.... But a Shortcut is usually the Long way home....

Pull the motor,....

Jamz3333

Seaman

ok thanks, i was trying to do it the easiest way possible. i have never pulled a motor out of a boat. i have a lot of room to work with, but what are the steps to taking one out?

Jamz3333

Seaman

My boat is a 91 and the oil pan is cracked at the drain plug, i put jb weld around it in mid summer just to get me through the summer. it started leaking again so i have the same motor that is a 68 i think. would they be the same oil pan does anyone know?

Bondo

Staff member

but what are the steps to taking one out?
My boat is a 91 i have the same motor that is a 68 i think.

Ayuh,..... Pull the Drive, then the motor,...
Reinstall the motor, align it, reinstall the drive...

I believe the pans changed in 90...

ziggy

Admiral

i have a lot of room to work with (that's great), but what are the steps to taking one out?
imho, the first step is to get the oem service manual for your particular rig. it'll have a section for engine removal. ya just follow the steps.

in my case, for my '75 L6, best i can remember was

pull drive
disconnect everything from the engine so the engine is isolated
remove ft. and rear motor mounts. and remove engine.

i only pulled mine up high enough to remove my pan and have enough room to lay on my back to clean the gasket surface. R&R the pan, then put it back where i found it. put all the parts back where i found them. then align it + put the drive back on and be done.

the service manual is the cat's meow. imho, a must have tool. it'll tell ya what ya need to know...

as for the pan interchange. a possible way to find out i would think would to be look up the part numbers for both pans in question. if the part numbers match ya got a winner. if they don't, well... they may not be the same.

Jamz3333

Seaman

Ok thanks for all the help! One more question where do i find an oem manual?

ziggy

Admiral

you may be in luck.

you need either 6 or 14 for the drive.
i believe '92 was the change year from alpha1 to alpha1 genII. confirm by serial number! i think ya likely have a alpha1 per a mercruiser drive application chart. but be sure which ya got. the s/n will tell.
i believe ya need 13 for your engine. confirm by s/n.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/srvcovr.pdf

Jamz3333

Seaman

When I go to put the motor back in, how will I know if I have it lined up correctly?

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will use your engine alignment tool, and follow instructions posted on this forum...