Tilt wont go up all the way

anna's boat

Recruit
Hi-

I have a 1984 Baretta with 3.8 and an OMC outdrive. The electric tilt lowers the outdrive all the way down just fine....but it wont raise it back up. I have to have someone manually lift it while i push the button. Ive replaced the lift motor and the same thing happens. Can somebody please tell me how to fix this? :confused:

thanks
Anna

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tilt wont go up all the way

First of all, Welcome to the room, Anna!

Your description says one thing, while the title of the post says something else.

Is the outdrive coming up part of the way on its own or does it just stay where you lowered it to?

After a helping hand raises it, will it stay put or does it drop by itself?

Does the system make any noise as if it's trying to move?

Since you're changed the motor, I assume there is plenty of fluid in the resevoir.

Good luck!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Have you greased the 2 trunnion bearings? - the "ears" the outdrive pivots on
If not, pull the 2 rubber steering bumpers off to expose the zerks and give them grease.

If you already did that,next- remove all heavy wires (green/wh and blue/wh 10ga.) from the relays. File both sides of the terminal rings shiny. Then file the terminal side of the nut shiny.

Then, remove the two 50A barrel fuses (black barrel shaped fuse holders just starboard of your carburetor in that wiring bracket) and clean the rust off them with steel wool

If all that doesn't help, add a second shim gasket under the tilt clutch cover.

A fully charged battery and good battery cables and connections also imperative.

anna's boat

Recruit

Hi
thank you for your speedy response! wow that was quick! How do you get the rubber stops off? I have never greased those before... do you have to un-bolt the 4 bolts on each side and pull the plate off? or do you just grab firmly and pull them off? I dont want to rip any rubber...and what will I find after they are off?

Ive tried all of the other stuff...with no luck
Thanks

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Hi
thank you for your speedy response! wow that was quick! How do you get the rubber stops off? I have never greased those before... do you have to un-bolt the 4 bolts on each side and pull the plate off? or do you just grab firmly and pull them off? I dont want to rip any rubber...and what will I find after they are off?

Ive tried all of the other stuff...with no luck
Thanks
No bolts to undo.
Just pry the rubber bumpers off, they're held in place by 2 (sort of) round head screws in a recess in the rubber. There's a grease nipple underneath. Don't adjust the screws. After greasing, push the bumpers back on with a "wiggle".

It sounds like the clutch pack is slipping. Remove the cover (just under the bronze gear quadrant) and see what the oil looks like. It's probably an oil/water sludge. If so, clean it out with some thinners, replace it with either 10W30 or 80W90, it's not critical. If it still slips, you'll have to remove the clutch pack, squeeze it in a vise to remove the retainer ring, then add a shim to increase tension on the clutch disks, (as mentioned above)

anna's boat

Recruit

wow :eek: that sounds too complicated for me to try to do myself....darn it.
Maybe the husband can do it. Til then...can i still use the boat without doing any damage as long as someone helps me lift the outdrive manually?? Sure is perfect fishing weather... and suprisingly, the number of "bored housewives" who want to go fishing with me is starting to grow (which is really cool). :cool:

Thank you very much
Anna

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Sure. The thrust of the prop will keep the outdrive pushed all the way in when you go forward, so no problem. If you reverse too fast, it might tilt up a bit. Just be gentle reversing. Enjoy!