temperature sender stuck in manifold?

Finnerty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm afraid to force it in case it breaks off - what's the remedy if it does??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: temperature sender stuck in manifold?

Depends on where it breaks. If it breaks off flush with the manifold, it would be a drill out and retap. Being as it's normally an 1/8" pipe thread, I would drill it out a little bit, just enough to use the largest EZ out possible and still have some meat on the sides of the piece in the manifold.

coheej

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may be wrong. If it's a sb chevy, it's probably a 3/8" to 1/2" pipe. If it hasn't broken yet; try using a 6 pt socket, not an open end wrench. If you can't get a socket in there because of the sender wire then try a wrench made for removing hose type connectors. And if it breaks or is already broken, see Don's post.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I may be wrong. If it's a sb chevy, it's probably a 3/8" to 1/2" pipe.

No, you aren't wrong, just somewhere in my typing I turned it into an oil pressure sender. :redface:

Bondo

Staff member

454 Mercruiser MIE 330

Ayuh,..... 'n if it's Bad enough,...Replace the T-stat Housing....

Worst case scenario,...
You replace whatever it takes, after you take it apart far enough to find usable motor..

I'm guessin' it's a Saltwater motor,..??

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can lay hands on a little diesel fuel or #1 stove oil, put a couple of drops on the threads every day for a week. Then use a socket and breaking bar and just tap on the bar with a hammer. Take your time, start lightly and SLOWLY increase the force of the hammer blows. It is amazing what will come out.

(I have rebuild a LOT of very old machinery and if stove oil and impact doesn't get it out, it isn't going to come out.)

Finnerty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks y'all, I'll give er a try...
Dave

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,..... 'n if it's Bad enough,...Replace the T-stat Housing....

I'm confused and maybe it does not matter. My Temp Sender is on the manifold and always has been since I bought the used boat. My Temp Switch is on the Starboard Side of the TStat Housing.

Should I relocate my the Temp Sender to the Port Side of the TStat housing?

It sounds like Finnerty has the temp sender on the manifold. I guess it depends on what TStat housing you have on your boat?

Finnerty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

or more like it I don't know the difference!!! Either way they both need replacing and I suspect both have been in there a long time...cheers