Tow Vehicle Tires

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Instead of joining another darned forum on tow vehicles...I thought I'd ask around here first.

I just picked up a fleet-return 2008 Silverado 2500HD with 34K on it...she's a real beast. Found out they had the locking 4.10 rear end installed. That makes for 12,500 lbs towing capacity...woot! I thought it has the 3.73 when I bought it. (Glad someone else pays for most of the gas, though...)

Anyway...since it was a fleet "work" truck, it has these ridiculously small tires - 245 / 75R-16. When I check with Tires.com / tirerack, etc, it only shows one larger "plus" size - 265 / 70-16. It has 6.5" steel, 8-lug wheels.

I'd like to put larger tires on it before winter...they are the ONLY thing that needs replacing. Am I really limited to 265 / 70 as the largest "acceptable" replacement on a 6.5" rim? It's 2WD, and I'm not looking to put monster-truck tires...just something larger, that would look better. It looks like one of my son's Hot-Wheels right now...

Thanks

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Tow Vehicle Tires

someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you put on a different size tire on the vehicle, won't it mess up the speed listed on the speedometer?

-Hostage

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I had an '09 with 245's and 3:73 for a co. truck. Put the 265's on with no problems. My speedo was 2 1/2 miles lower was all. Bridgestone makes a 285 that one of our guys tried on his and he had them pulled off because they hurt his power and milage so badly. (looked wrong with the 6.5 wheel too.)
Were the 4:10's installed at the dealer and did he change the speedo gears also or have you checked it with a GPS? With the lower gears, you may not get the power loss with the 285's, but you'll also have to crank up the front torsion bars to clear the fender wells. (which looks better level anyway.)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2003 2500HD crew cab duramax. It also came with the 245's. I put on 285's and gave the front torsion spring adjuster bolts each 6 turns if I remember right. This made the truck sit level. I am on my second set of tires that size. The first set didn't rub at all. With the second set I only get a very very slight rub when turning. I have only noticed it when backing up. It isn't even enough that I have considered trimming the air dam. If I did it would only be 1/4".

My brother has the same truck as I do and he runs 265's. No changes and no rubbing.

The speedo in these trucks is electronic and there is no gear to change. The dealer can re-program so that the speed is right, or you can live with it.

Bondo

Staff member

Am I really limited to 265 / 70 as the largest "acceptable" replacement on a 6.5" rim?

Ayuh,.... 235r 85 16s are considerably Taller, but slightly skinnier...

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Oh yeah, if you do decide to do as I did and adjust the torsion springs to get 285's on then you will need to get the front end aligned.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless the truck is reprogrammed, three things happen. 1) the speedometer is off, 2) shift points become wrong because of #1, and 3) the effective axle ratio changes because of the larger tire circumference. Some shops won't even install a tire size that is not recommended for the vehicle. yes -- the attorneys got involved in that scenario as well.

Installing larger tires on a rim that is too narrow will cause the center of the tread to wear. My Yukon has 265-70x16 tires as an option on 7 inch rims. Unless you change rims, perhaps a 75 or even 85 series tire would work although those become rather skinny looking as was mentioned.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My truck came with 245's on it too. I have been running 265-70-16 on it for about 8 years now.
My Superchips Tuner let me correct the Speedo and shift points.It has an option to enter tire size.

Why in the heck Chevy put those little tires on those trucks is a good question....Saved them a few bucks i guess..:rolleyes:

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Were the 4:10's installed at the dealer and did he change the speedo gears also or have you checked it with a GPS? With the lower gears, you may not get the power loss with the 285's, but you'll also have to crank up the front torsion bars to clear the fender wells. (which looks better level anyway.)

I had the local Chevy dealer run the VIN...the 4.10 was installed as a factory item...so I gotta assume that the speedo is correct. Did not even THINK about that..will check with GPS to make sure. Plenty of room under the wheel-wells.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why in the heck Chevy put those little tires on those trucks is a good question....Saved them a few bucks i guess..:rolleyes:

I was guessing it had to do with getting another small increment per gallon out of the EPA rating..smaller tread patch = less rolling resistance. They look ridiculous!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

265's were optional for that truck from Chevy. All the fleet stuff for the base truck shipped with 245's. Price point was certainly the issue. The 265's used the same steel wheel.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep...seems like the 265 / 70 will be the replacement. Now just have to buck up and swallow the $200 / Tire for the Michelin LTX M/S that I'm leaning toward.

Never thought I'd have a preference for anything French! (reminds me of the old joke in gun collector circles about why French Mil-surp rifles are always in such good shape: Never fired, dropped once...:rolleyes:)

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

2500 HD's take E-rated tires. Don't forget that! You'll be very unhappy with the C rated on that rig. (break out another $50 per) 80 psi rear, 60 front.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

2500 HD's take E-rated tires. Don't forget that! You'll be very unhappy with the C rated on that rig. (break out another $50 per) 80 psi rear, 60 front.

Hmmm...10-4...will look into that! Thanks. I think the LTX are D rated, but will check and make sure. Right now, the door sticker says 50F / 60R.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Don't know what you're towing, but if it's beyond 8000, definetely the E's. The D's are fine below that, but under the towing spec max (12,000)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The important number is the actual weight rating of the tire, regardless of whether they are C,D,E rated or whatever. The 285-75-16 tires I have are D-rated but have a higher load capacity than the E-rated 245-75-16 Firestone tires that came on the truck (load index 120 vs 122, 3086 vs 3307 pounds).

I personally would get a 265-75-16 or a 285-75-16 for the truck as the 75 series would fit the rim width better IMO. I disagree that the 75 series look skinny. I will get a pic of my truck with the 285's in the morning.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

They do make the Michelin LTX in a load range D...
We had them on a Dodge 3500 Dually where i used to work.It was my assigned truck and those tires had a great ride to them.
Much better than the stock tires that Dodge put on it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The D-rated will ride much better than the E-rated primarily due to the reduced tire pressures. If the weight carrying capacity is there I'd rather have the D-rated.

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Max weight I'll be towing is under 6,000 lbs. The only way I'd crack 8,000 would be if I bought a new cabover camper to add to the new boat and new truck.

But I'd rather stay married ;) Seems like it'd be cheaper in the long run.

So it sounds like D rated would be a good compromise of ride and durability. The LTX has a 70K warranty, which I really like. We've run them on our Landcrusier for about 5 years now and love them. Apples and Oranges, I know...but I've come to trust Michelin.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

We pulled 10 to 12k coast to coast with the D rated Michelins...no problems.
This was a 48 foot enclosed two car hauler fifth wheel trailer.