Need Help Finding info on OMC 260

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZBoatRookie

Cadet
Hi all this is my 2nd post, on PROJECT: C-Note.<br /><br />Just bought a 1980 20' Sunset Day Cruiser for $100. It belonged to a little old lady's husband who's passed on a year ago, and she wanted it gone from her yard. It has been sitting since 1997. It has under the box in the back, a engine that says OMC 260 Stern Drive. It has no manuals, so Me being the rookie that I am have no clue what Im dealing with. On top of the engine it reads: <br /> Model: 990262K Serial Number: W 705827<br /> <br /> Does anyone have any ideas on what year this is? What the engine size is? Or if it can be made to run again(can parts be found?). It has a small fastwin outboard laying in the inside of the boat. It also has many parts laying there from what I think you all call the (foot)outdrive? I think this piece had a problem and some one gave up on trying to fix it and just tossed it up into the boat. Resulting in a lot of rusty parts. The outdrive looks like it was paint numerous times. I couldn't see any part or serial numbers on any of the loose peices.<br />If anyone has any info on this engine, or can help me piece together what I have I would really be greatful.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need Help Finding info on OMC 260

Your motor is a 350cid Chevy... No Problem there....<br />However, an OMC Stringerdrive was a POS, the day it was built... Parts are getting scarce... <br />You payed about $99. Toooo Much.....

AZBoatRookie

Cadet

Thanks so much for that infomation Bondo. I've been trying to find that out for the two weeks I've had the darn thing. I noticed you said stinger drive, when I look on replacement websights I tend to see 400, 800, or cobra. I have no clue which one to get to replace it. I really want to get a good manual. Any recommendations out there? I bet I'd need to know what year the sterndrive is too. Rookie Question #1: When the word stern drive is used. is that the complete package engine & outdrive? What I'm getting at was this engine(OMC 260 sterndrive)a package deal, (was there only one type of out drive for the engine package)?<br /> Hopefully when I get the manual, I will get more familiarized with all the parts of the beast. <br />Looks like most of the boards here say to start with see if I can get the motor to turn."Soak it with some Marvel mystery Oil. Let it set and turn it with a socket wrench and breakerbar" So thats what I'll try first anyway. Thanks again on the info Bondo.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,<br />For a Manual, Go to the Top of This Page,+ Click on Manuals........<br />As far as the Year of your Parts, 1980 it seems would be the Answer.....<br /><br />The term "Stringer Drive" refers to All the old OMC Junk that they built Before the Volvo(OMC Couldn't get it Right, so they Copied Volvo) based Cobra drives.....<br /><br /> Rookie Question #1: When the word stern drive is used. <br />Usually this term is used to describe the complete package.<br /> But is sometimes used by some people to describe the outdrive.....<br />Actually it's Supposed to describe the matter in which the boat is driven..... <br />ei; Outboard powered, full Inboard powered, or Sterndrive powered.....<br />
What I'm getting at was this engine(OMC 260 sterndrive)a package deal, (was there only one type of out drive for the engine package)?<br />
Yes.. Atleast for that Year, Made by OMC.....<br /> <br />
Looks like most of the boards here say to start with see if I can get the motor to turn."Soak it with some Marvel mystery Oil. Let it set and turn it with a socket wrench and breakerbar" So thats what I'll try first anyway.
I'm Guessing that the Intermediate housing is still Attached to the back of the engine..??? That Can Also be your Problem.........<br />Pull the motor so you'll Know, it's the motor is Frozen,+ Not the Drive.....<br /><br />This is Only My Opinion; <br />You are headed down a path to Much Misery,+ Little or No Joy.......<br /> IF You Truely Love this Hull, Junk the OMC Sterndrive Package,+ Repower with a Mercruiser or even a Volvo.....<br />If you just want to get Into boating, Sell this thing,+ Buy a Better Project Boat.... You can Easily get your money out of it.... Sell it Piece by Piece,+ you'll Make Enough to go buy a better package......<br />These Old OMCs were Never very Reliable or very Popular.... To Me , that means they are Junk,+ Parts are Less Available, as well as more Expensive.....<br /><br />Now might be a good time to become an Ebay Seller.....

AZBoatRookie

Cadet

Well My father came out on Christmas day to see what the heck I'd gotten myself into. He took a look at the engine and said it wasn't as bad as I’d described. He hooked up a spare battery and used a screw drive to jumpstart the engine at the starter/solenoid. The pulleys didn’t turn. We didn't have a breaker bar to turn the fly wheel so he then used vise grips to clamp the drive belt to the water pump pulley so it would spin. Then with the same huge screw drive pried between two hex bolts on the same pull he worked it loose. He then attempted jump starting and everything started to turn on its own. He thinks the engine just needs a lot of TLC.<br /> I guess my next question is...What should I do next? Should I replace sparkplugs, change out the engine oil? What’s the usual next step once you find out the engine isn't frozen?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Do a compression test first. Then see what is in the fuel tank. Then check for rot in the floor and transom. The idea is to see if there is anything really wrong before you sink money into it. Currently you're only out 100 bucks. If the floor and transom are okay, and you can fix the gunk thats in the tank, and you can pull the engine to ovehaul it, then pull the drive and learn about those. But check for major problems that will stop you before you start spending money. Structure and mechanical basics first. Do not start this engine without water available.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I've never had a stringer drive, but I have heard from those that have had years of trouble free service from them with proper maintenance. Not disagreeing with bondo, as it seems that most would choose something other than a stringer, they made them for many years and for $100, you could make money parting it out if it flops. I probably would have bought it in a heartbeat for that amount. Worst case if the structure is solid is you part it out and toss what's left.<br /><br />Get a manual and learn the quirks of the drive and watch out for them. Have fun learning and be safe out there!

danthern

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the Clymer manual for my OMC. It's pretty concise and I've learned a ton with its help. I have a stringer 800 series (1977) that operates well. Maintenance is key...Lemme know if you want your hundred bucks out of that boat!

8675-30-9

Recruit

Well,<br />For a Manual, Go to the Top of This Page,+ Click on Manuals........<br />As far as the Year of your Parts, 1980 it seems would be the Answer.....<br /><br />The term "Stringer Drive" refers to All the old OMC Junk that they built Before the Volvo(OMC Couldn't get it Right, so they Copied Volvo) based Cobra drives.....<br /><br /> Rookie Question #1: When the word stern drive is used. <br />Usually this term is used to describe the complete package.<br /> But is sometimes used by some people to describe the outdrive.....<br />Actually it's Supposed to describe the matter in which the boat is driven..... <br />ei; Outboard powered, full Inboard powered, or Sterndrive powered.....<br /> Yes.. Atleast for that Year, Made by OMC.....<br /> <br /> I'm Guessing that the Intermediate housing is still Attached to the back of the engine..??? That Can Also be your Problem.........<br />Pull the motor so you'll Know, it's the motor is Frozen,+ Not the Drive.....<br /><br />This is Only My Opinion; <br />You are headed down a path to Much Misery,+ Little or No Joy.......<br /> IF You Truely Love this Hull, Junk the OMC Sterndrive Package,+ Repower with a Mercruiser or even a Volvo.....<br />If you just want to get Into boating, Sell this thing,+ Buy a Better Project Boat.... You can Easily get your money out of it.... Sell it Piece by Piece,+ you'll Make Enough to go buy a better package......<br />These Old OMCs were Never very Reliable or very Popular.... To Me , that means they are Junk,+ Parts are Less Available, as well as more Expensive.....<br /><br />Now might be a good time to become an Ebay Seller.....
Hey Bondo, where could I find this OMC 260 Stringer Manual online? Any idea? Would be appreciated thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.