How to Value a Classic (1950's Lone Star Cruiseliner)

deathbywedgie

Recruit
I'm a boating novice and have wanted in on the club for some time, but it's only recently started to become possible. There's plenty of information out there on options for new boats, and there is an overwhelming mountain of info what to consider in buying a used boat, but what I haven't been able to find is how to value an old boat in decent condition.

I'm considering a 50's era Lone Star Cruiseliner that appears to be in decent shape with all original parts (a rare find, from what I can tell), and I'm in love with the classic car-on-water look (right down to the fins!), but there isn't exactly a blue book for valuing a 50+ year old boat to figure out what is a fair offer. Any words of advice?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to Value a Classic (1950's Lone Star Cruiseliner)

Lots of places to look, but it'll take some googling.

Try Fiberglassics.com. They are mostly glass, but they do have sections on aluminum too. Try their forum.

Google antique and classic boat sales companies. There are 6 or 8 on the net. I visit "Antique Boat America" in Clayton, NY every year on vacation. They cater mostly to wood, but they will sell anything for you. Look at their archives for recently sold Lone Stars. I remember seeing one there a few years ago.

Google for a Lone Star Boating Club. I'm sure there is one around somewhere.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to Value a Classic (1950's Lone Star Cruiseliner)

there are Internet LoneStar sites with more stuff than you care to know- good people just like this site-just not as large- google LoneStar Boats to find. There is alot of info even on Google.

As for Value- it is what someone is willing to pay- a good boat is a good boat- a junk barge is just that. I used to know a guy that had one here in DFW named " Seven Pistols" What he traded for the boat.

They are sturdy/well built- the wood floors / transoms will rot over time but easy to replace. Interiors can be built anyway you can imagine-just basic carpentry. I have replace several loose/ missing rivets with stainless machine screws.

They are ultra light weight for thier size and a 150hp on a Cruiseliner is a great combo.