1997 70 hp Johnson Check Engine Alarm

Anyone have a answer? I just had a new water pump and electric tilt/trim motor put on my 1997 70 hp Johnson outboard. A week later at the beach (the first time I ran her) the "check engine" light came on after sitting overnight. My boat is equipped with a "System Check Engine Monitor" gauge. It warns of No Oil, Water Temp., Check Eng., and Low Oil..When first key is turned on and engine is started a short beep is heard and all lights on gauge light up. They then countdown and turn off one by one, then the "check engine" light comes on and has a steady beep for 10 seconds then stops, and the light stays on for 30 seconds then turns off. Doesn't come back on at all while running all day. Engine seems to run fine. Oil injection works fine, no overheating problem and oil tank is full.

The manual I have says the "check engine" LED while present in all gauges is not functional on 70 hp and smaller engines. These engines do not incorporate a sensor for the check engine LED"

Now I'm confused. Why is it turning on now after no problems for 10 years?
Just never did this before parts were replaced. Coincidence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 70 hp Johnson Check Engine Alarm

Back in the days when OMC made these gauges they had some probs with both the tach and gauge lites going on for no apparent reason. Turned out to be a tach or gauge. Due to the fact you have nothing on your mtr to set it off I'd say you have a bad gauge.

Thanks Boobie. Now that you look at it that way it does seem like the obvious is a bad gauge. Thanks for your help.

Boobie,

Any idea where I might find one of these gauges? Been searching all over the web but have come up blank

Can that "check engine" light be disconnected? Your thoughts.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The prob was in the gauge/tach it self. Some place on this site is a list of salvage yards that handle used parts. You may want to hunt that down or just run it the way it is knowing it doesn't affect anything. Just found it, go to the top of this site and look under the Sticky file. You'll find salvage yards listed there. If fact one is about 10 miles from where I live.

Boobie,

Thanks again. Took some searching but found Sticky's post with the list. Will see if any are available and what the price is and before I decide what to do. Can live with it the way it is but could be an issue down the road should I sell her.

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Faria and others make the System check gauges is several styles. One of these is the Faria Chesapeake SS System Check tach.

gjd70hp

Recruit

Chris1956 Thanks for the info.

I have a 1997 hydrasport with a 70 hp motor. Recently the check engine alarm is activating and de-activaitng at different times. And accoridng to the operations and maintenance manul only the NO OIL, WATER TEMP and LOW OIL is operational and ther CHECK ENGINE is NOT, just as your manual referenced. Had it checked at a Marina and was told I was having problem with the VRO system and they want to start replacing things. So I have a few questions:
Is there any chance that this can be a problem with the VRO system?
Or is this a problem with the TACH Gauge that has the SYSTEM CHECK leds built in?
Is the CEHCK ENGINE alarm actually not used as specified the manual?
Any help and info would be appreciated. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The check engine lite has nothing to do with your mtr. The marina is trying to sell you a " bill of goods ". Go find a different marina and a different tech. You just may have a bad tach, but as long as you don't have any oil alarms I wouldn't worry about it.

gjd70hp

Recruit

The check engine lite has nothing to do with your mtr. The marina is trying to sell you a " bill of goods ". Go find a different marina and a different tech. You just may have a bad tach, but as long as you don't have any oil alarms I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank-you and will be looking for another marina and tech.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Back in the days when OMC made these gauges they had some probs with both the tach and gauge lites going on for no apparent reason. Turned out to be a tach or gauge. Due to the fact you have nothing on your mtr to set it off I'd say you have a bad gauge.

Boobie..... Many years ago, a friend of mine quoted a saying that I've never forgot, and that was "Sophistication Breeds Problems".

Methinks the engineering line is going too far and not taking into consideration the problems associated with backfeeds that create false warnings.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well spoken Joe. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When was this thread started, by whom???

gjd70 Hijacked it. It would have been far, far better to start his own thread. Very bad form.