Rotten Floor and Stringers

followme21

Seaman
So we just purchased a 1993 Crownline 225 BR this past weekend. Mechanicaly it is very very sound.. I was aware going into this that there was some floor rot, so not a big surprise to me, and I have read up on everything and think I have a good handle on what needs to be done. I have the carpet up and a lot of the rotton floor board off. My question is when I begin to remove the rotton stringers will there be grooves or something in the hull area that the stringers sit into? This crownline kind of has a grid pattern for the stringers....Or will I just clean everything up good and place them in abouth the same spot where the old ones were removed from? then epoxy and fiberglass them in? .. thanks for you input.
Oh I have checked the transom and it it solid.. so no worries there.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Rotten Floor and Stringers

When you cut the old stringer system out you should have plenty of reference for where the new stringer system should go. Just don?t remove all the old glass. You should be able to leave enough to give you some good grooves to seat the new wood in to. If not, you are going to have to rely on good measuring and some pictures will help. Setting a grid with string at finished deck height inside the hull will help with this. Generally, even after grinding, you will have plenty of reference points to go by.
When setting finished deck height inside the hull be sure to allow for layers of new glass and the deck itself before cutting your new stringers to width.