Sparkplug choice

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1998 75 force motor which has always had ?NGK BUHW? perm gap style spark plugs in it since I have owned it. I went to purchase a spare set but the boat shop only had Champion L76V plugs which are the standard pin & post style of plug. They said they thought that they would run better than the NGKS? as they thought that the champion plugs would have been the type in the motor originally.

Would the style of plug make any difference to this motor?

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sparkplug choice

I replaced mine with NGK. I have had no problems with these plugs. You can NOT use conventional spark plugs with your motor. Your piston will smash the gap arm. You need to use surface gap plugs. One nice thing about these plugs are that last nearly forever. Never need gapping, most auto parts stores carry them and pretty reasonable in price.

Tom

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman

There was another post recently where Frank recommended Champion L20V plugs, which are surface gap plugs. I had to special order them from my local auto parts store. http://www.rockauto.com also carries them.

emoney

Commander

I have both Champion and NGK and quite frankly, I couldn't tell a difference.
When they're basically the same spark plug, it's probably hard for most laymen
to see a change between the two manufacturer's. It's probably a habitual
preference thing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Somebody is zooming you on those plugs! last I remember, L76V is a Mercury surface gap plug and should be OK since Merc did use them in Force engines. I could be wrong though. Do not use a bent electrode plug no matter what anyone tells you.

Some people swear that they run better with absolutely no problems, but I have seen them melt holes in the piston crowns. Why take a chance? Better to put up with more fouling and perhaps a slightly worse idle than to replace pistons.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

This is an example of the poor and inconsistent quality of Champion spark plugs that I purchased a few months ago. Notice the printing on all 4 is different, the ceramic on the far left plug is actually thicker, and two of them were slightly crooked. The boat wouldn't even start with these brand new plugs, I had the same problem with autolite, maybe I'm a special case, maybe not. I was told by a MERC tech that NGK are the only plugs they would use at his shop.

Attachments

• spark plugs.jpg
    spark plugs.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I had a similar experience as bman1bpm with a set of Champion plugs. They were surface gap plugs. The circular gap wasn't any where close to being round. It was more like hexagonal. The center electrode was sticking out at different lengths on each plug. I looked at the box that each plug came in. They were made in Mexico. I threw them away and got a set of NGK's.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

I'll stick with the NGK's.

Karla45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are champion ul18v considered surface gap plugs? Also my friend is going to put spark plugs in for me and wanted to know if they were pre-set. I have no idea how to tell if they are surface gap. I just bought 3 new ul18v and want to make sure I get the right plugs before i put these in.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Karla45

Surface gap pluds look like this on the ends. (minus all the grot)

They don'y have a prong sticking out.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 3 plugs.jpg
    3 plugs.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar experience as bman1bpm with a set of Champion plugs. They were surface gap plugs. The circular gap wasn't any where close to being round. It was more like hexagonal. The center electrode was sticking out at different lengths on each plug. I looked at the box that each plug came in. They were made in Mexico. I threw them away and got a set of NGK's.

My 1997 Force 120 is using Champion L76V. What NGKs are you using? I'd like to try NGKs if they're any better than the Champs. Many thanks - Anthony

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

bman, the champ plugs on the right are the newer design ,you have two different plug ages are why they are different,just updated in this case,I've used both champ and ngks and both worked fine for me .You might want to contact champion plugs if your boat wouldn't crank on your new plugs,they might want them back and possibly give you some kind of refund, my experience with champ plugs have always been great but there's always a first time for everything. What part was slightly crooked,the porcelain??

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

bman, the champ plugs on the right are the newer design [The black ink should be the later plug],you have two different plug ages are why they are different,just updated in this case,I've used both champ and ngks and both worked fine for me .You might want to contact champion plugs if your boat wouldn't crank on your new plugs,they might want them back and possibly give you some kind of refund, my experience with champ plugs have always been great but there's always a first time for everything. What part was slightly crooked,the porcelain??

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the porcelain was crooked. I brought that set back to the autoparts store for a refund. I had 8 that I bought from rockauto.com also, they all looked right but the motor wouldn't run with those either. Who knows what the deal is. I had an old set of champs and it ran great.
I'm running NGK BUH plugs now (chrysler manual specified BUH for the 140) runs great on those, and I got them for $1 each on ebay.

beckspop

Seaman

These are the NGK's listed right here on iboats... Did they change to a bent gap or are they just using a "stock" photo? Kinda makes me nervous to order them...:confused: My BUHX's are surface type.

Spark Plug BUHX - NGK
Need Help? Have Questions?
1-800-743-1123
? Boat Parts & Accessories
HP Notes Years Standard Plug Plug Gap
85 - 1983 - 1989 BUHX -

Price: $4.01
Compare at $5.39
Manufacturer: NGK

Attachments

• ngk-plug_0_26.jpg
    ngk-plug_0_26.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

The plugs in my photos are NGK BUHW 1998 75 Force

anple

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The NGK catalog shows NGK BUZHW SPARK PLUG #2147, is required for my 1997 Force 120. They're expensive, 6-7 bucks a piece. Is there other NGKs I may alter? Thanks - Anthony

beckspop

Seaman

These are out of a 1984 85hp Force as seen in the pic's they just say BUHX?:confused: As you can see, new plugs are in my future....

Attachments

• 2010-11-02 20.12.40.jpg
    2010-11-02 20.12.40.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Most sites use stock photos

These are the NGK's listed right here on iboats... Did they change to a bent gap or are they just using a "stock" photo? Kinda makes me nervous to order them...:confused: My BUHX's are surface type.

Spark Plug BUHX - NGK
Need Help? Have Questions?
1-800-743-1123
? Boat Parts & Accessories
HP Notes Years Standard Plug Plug Gap
85 - 1983 - 1989 BUHX -

Price: $4.01
Compare at $5.39
Manufacturer: NGK

beckspop

Seaman