Oil in motor from winterizaion.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1981 mercruiser 140. swapped ignition over and now gonna try to get her going..

Seems to have a large amt. of oil, because some is coming out of the exhaust elbow when i crank it over. I'm positive that it is from being stored, but not sure if there's something I can do, or just try to get her running and burn/blow it out? what do ya think? The oil level on the dipstick is perfectly new oil at the full level.

Need to get fuel and water to her. any advice on the oil thing. Its backfiring loud when i try to turn her over and large amount of whit smoke as i figured it would... should i just crank her?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil in motor from winterizaion.

Backfiring could mean you didn`t put the dist in correctly, or the plug wires for the correct firing order.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the spark plugs and crank it for a bit if you want to purge some of that oil in the cylinders.. it will blow out the spark plug holes and you don't have to worry about hydro lock damage in case someone was overly ambitious with fogging Like dumped a qt of oil in the carb. Put a rag over plug holes cuz it will blow out of there... messy...

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the incite. I think that i have the distributor in correctly, as when the first cylinder is coming up to BTDC on the compression stroke, the rotor under the distributor cap is pointing towards the #1 cylinder. Isn't that correct? Thank you, Matt