1989 115 Mariner 4-cyl will not tilt up

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, been a while since I've had to post a problem but I got one and I think its minor. I hope. I own a 1989 Mariner 4 cyl w/power tilt & trim and today when I was ready to leave the lake, I trimmed down and took off and ran to the boat landing. I noticed the tilt/trim button would not trim the motor up when approaching dock in shallow water but made it on the trailer anyway and had about 2" clearence from the ground to the lower fin. all tilt/trim buttons front, console and rear worked down but when I tried up all I could hear was one click from the motor when I tried to tilt motor up. Took off the motor cover and the cover over the solinoids, two are there one on top and one down below it. The one on top would only make one click sound and the motor would not move. I took a screw driver and touched the pos/neg togeather on the top solinode and the motor tilted up. What a relief ! So I got her buttoned back up and home. But I still got a problem. ZDo i just need to replace the solinode or could there be other problems? If I do need to replace it, should I replace both? And am I right about the top solinoid controlling the up button and the lower solinoid controlling the down button??
I would appreciate some advice and Thanks.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1989 115 Mariner 4-cyl will not tilt up

Sounds like a bad connection or bad solenoid. You can swap them to verify.

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I switched them and now the up works and the lower don't, so I guess it's the solinode. I tried to find it on Iboats and called them but they sayed they dont carry that one. Would anybody have an idea where I could find a couple? Its a Mariner 1989 4 cylinder serial number OC125427.
Thanks

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a local shop that had the correct solinode, replaced it and its good as new!
Thanks
Fishermanms