How to clean a boats fule tanks

mcgill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello

I have a boat i got on line 2 years a go. It always hade hard starting i changed out the fule pumps ,cleand the carbs,. Now the yamaha pr0-v 150ph will start right up. But will not stay running for long . If the choke is off ...I check the fule filter in the bass boat when i looked it was more brown water then gas in it. So the qestion I how is how do I clean the 2 fule tanks . with out removing them. Also what type of cleaners can i use. And tools for sucking out the bad water in the tank.:redface:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJY1RxmVI8

Last edited:

boat anon

Cadet
Re: How to clean a bass boats fule tanks

just cleaned out my tank this weekend after a 4 week hunt trying to figure out why my boat was sluggish (1st only at WOT, then wouldnt start for a few mins)....

55 gal alum tank was below all the wood i just fiberglassed, i cut a 5"x5" hole in it and drained the tank with an electric fuel pump hooked up to a portable battery charger. the i took a dyegrinder and ran it under water while i cut thru the aluminum. aluminum will NOT SPARK. so put all those myths to rest. the only reason i ran it under water was to keep it from getting too hot.

there was a pile (3 full hand-fulls) of sludge, dirt, sand that was clogging the pickup tube that goes to the fuel pump...i replaced 3 electric fuel pumps, the carberetor, the fuel filter before i realized that this was the problem.

i sealed it back up with a alum plate and sealant and the boat is running PERFECT.

just letting you know, in my case, flushing with alcohol wasnt enough.

mcgill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sounds good keep an eye on it whit my boat i later had to clean my fule lines flue pumps and cabs.