Newer power tilt trim retrofit...

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will any of the newer integrated PTT's with single cylinder hyadraulics and swivel bracket fit onto an 81' 80hp non PTT motor?

I have a twin cylinder inboard mounted style system common to these vintages but sure think it looks clumsy compared to the newer stuff.

Thanks,
8hygro

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newer power tilt trim retrofit...

I don't know about the single ram system, but I do know that the 3 ram system (The version between the single and the one you have) will fit. All you have to do is buy a mid tower from a 1985 - 88 inline 4 or 6 mid tower that has it and bolt yur power head to that mid and you're off and running.

Craig

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So the 81' lower end will fit up to the 85-88 mid section as well?

Would you consider this set-up worth the effort and extra cost over the earlier twin cylinder?

Thanks for any info you can share...I have a very low hour never been into 81' non PTT.

8hygro

79Merc80

Your lower unit will boldt right up to the 85 - 88 inline 4 and 6 as well s your power head. The only thing that will not bolt right up is the PT&T solenoinds, unless you can find the face support bracket from the same year, and that would be a 75hp.

I had a 79 115 that had the pump inside the boat and I couldn't get it to stop leaking on the carpet, so I found an engine that had a bad cylinder and parted out what I didn't need. I think it's well worth it. Keep in mind that you will have to fill the 2 holes in the transom and drill 4 more for the new bracket, but that's easy.

Craig

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only thing that will not bolt right up is the PT&T solenoinds, unless you can find the face support bracket from the same year, and that would be a 75hp.

Face support bracket from the same year as the donor mide section/swivel bracket/PTT?

Thanks,
8hygro

79Merc80

Yes, the 75hp went from 84 - 88 and would have the correct face support bracket

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks 79Merc80...The fully integrated PTT certainly is a cleaner install.

8hygro

Flossyb20

Cadet

To ease your mind a little, I just performed this swap on mine. I have a '73 850 and swapped in a single piston PTT off an '84 75hp. I bought the whole PTT system and steering swivel/mount as 1 piece, and it bolted right up to the mid-section, no mods needed. The only thing I have to retro is the wiring for the solenoids, which I plan on mounting in the boat, not the motor.

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So the 84' swivel bracket bolted up to your 73' mid section?

That would make things easier if it was the case with my 81' long shaft mid section. I can locate the PTT system and swivel bracket but am not finding the 84' midsection itself very easy.

8hygro

Flossyb20

Cadet

Yep, I just used the original midsection off the '73. It originally had the 2-piston style PTT on it, I just took off the old swivel bracket and swapped it in with the new one.

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you used your old steering arm/swivel pin and lower yoke as well?

8hygro

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just found a complete midsection with swivel, transom bracket and PTT unit still together from a 86' 75hp that had the pwerhead and lower unit removed.

Thanks for the help 79Merc80 and Flossyb20!

8hygro

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can anyone confirm vintage of serial #OA984857...I do not see it on any of the parts sites I am looking. Atleast not under 85-86 4cyl. 75 hp.

Thanks,
8hygro

79Merc80

Yep, that's an 86. Good find!!!

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Craig...May I ask where you found the serial # and vintage for confirmation?

Thanks!

8hygro

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So my serial # is one digit shorter than the starting serial #'s for the 86' 75hp (A1 97882) but yet appears below (A vs. B) and has the same digits as the fallowing starting serial # for 88' 75hp (B249480). Quite a batch of serial #'s...and looks to encompass 87' as they don't itemize #'s for that year.

Am I reading and discerning this info correctly?

Thanks,
8hygro

79Merc80

Yes, that's what I read also

8hygro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definately a learning curve to understanding some of Merc's serial number system. Especially being they use that for parts I.D.

Thanks again!