First time boat owner, is something wrong with my throttle cable?

anymanusa

Seaman
'92 Sea Ray 180 Mercruiser Alpha v6 4.3L and the engine runs nicely, but I notice that the throttle is very distinct in rpm increments. As I smoothly push the throttle lever forward, the engine doesn't smoothly increase in rpms. It takes most of the stroke, or at least half to get up to 3000ish rpms, and then the last quarter of the throttle modulates well.

What I'm trying to say is that the throttle doesn't behave quite like a gas pedal on a car does. I go from idle, to about 2800 rpms, and then modulation from 3000-4400 goes as expected, but I can't make the engine run at 1700 rpms (or at least I don't remember it wanting to run at this speed). It seems like the engine runs at 700rpm (idle), or 2800-4400rpm, there is no 1200-2300rpm range.

Is this normal?

tia

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: First time boat owner, is something wrong with my throttle cable?

'92 Sea Ray 180 Mercruiser Alpha v6 4.3L and the engine runs nicely, but I notice that the throttle is very distinct in rpm increments. As I smoothly push the throttle lever forward, the engine doesn't smoothly increase in rpms. It takes most of the stroke, or at least half to get up to 3000ish rpms, and then the last quarter of the throttle modulates well.

What I'm trying to say is that the throttle doesn't behave quite like a gas pedal on a car does. I go from idle, to about 2800 rpms, and then modulation from 3000-4400 goes as expected, but I can't make the engine run at 1700 rpms (or at least I don't remember it wanting to run at this speed). It seems like the engine runs at 700rpm (idle), or 2800-4400rpm, there is no 1200-2300rpm range.

Is this normal?

tia
No, not normal......
I would disconnect thethrottle cable at the carb & see how the engine reacts when unhooked...
It is most likely the cable though, probably kinked or obstucted, inspect it....
Throttle cables are cheap, $20 -$30..... :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

yep, disconnect at the engine and see how the throttle reacts on the engine

as stated the problem most likely is in the cable or the remote control

if you have the commander 3000 control, ditch it and get a new one - nothing but problems with that controller - i don't think you can even get cables for that anymore, its a new complete controller with cables

anymanusa

Seaman

thanks for the replies, I guess I have several winter projects for this boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would think it's more in the carb than the cable. The cable is linear. The cable is going to move the same amount from idle to WOT, no way it could change.
Partially plugged ports in the metering system (water/corrosion) could cause reduced fuel flow at lower rpm.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, not normal......
I would disconnect thethrottle cable at the carb & see how the engine reacts when unhooked...
It is most likely the cable though, probably kinked or obstucted, inspect it....
Throttle cables are cheap, $20 -$30..... :)

I don't think cables are that cheap.

anymanusa

Seaman

since you've told me that this isn't normal, I suspect that the cable is to blame. I think that the cable is so stiff and hard to move, that stiction is preventing it to move until a great amount of force is applied, then the cable 'pops' a greater amount than desired. It will be a while 'til I get a chance to check this theory out, but I'll disconnect the cable in the meantime and see how the engine does.

I just checked on cable pricing, and they are remarkably cheap. I will need to replace or fix my throttle lever too, as I managed to crack the cast aluminum hub part of it on my first outing from being a little ignorant.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

since you've told me that this isn't normal, I suspect that the cable is to blame. I think that the cable is so stiff and hard to move, that stiction is preventing it to move until a great amount of force is applied, then the cable 'pops' a greater amount than desired.

You mean you couldn't figure out that a cable so stiff that you break the control isn't a problem ??????????????????

anymanusa

Seaman

You mean you couldn't figure out that a cable so stiff that you break the control isn't a problem ??????????????????

Sounds like I just did.

I've.piloted a grand total of two boats. Both controls felt the same, and the other boat is only 3 years old.
-oh nevermind, I misinterpretted what you meant...no the cable didn't cause me to break the controlarm, as istated before, my ignorance did.