3.0L Mercruiser No Spark.

jpdragon

Cadet
I have Maxum 1998 3.0L Mercruiser. Ran fine two days ago and took it out yesterday to clean carpen and vaccum the floor but today didn't start. I check the spark ignition wire and didn't see any spark. Fuel pump to the carburator just fine.

What could be the problem? Am I touching any wire that might cause loosing spark?

Any help would greatly appreciated.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 3.0L Mercruiser No Spark.

Power to the coil?
Points?
Condenser?

serial number??

OEM service manual with ignition troubleshooting guide??

basically speaking, we need a little more info as to what exactly you're working on

points ignition?? electronic??

have you done any troubleshooting besides checking for spark??

check battery connection/condition?? loose/corroded connections in the ignition wiring??

jpdragon

Cadet

The motor serial # 0L032986 181 CID / 3.0L Mercruiser.

I had check the ignition coil cable and no spark there.
I had check the battery positive and negative cable and it's not loose.
All fuse box are checked.
I am about loosen all terminal connections and retighten them to ensure no ground issue.
Could it be cable loose when the boat trailering on the road? I just don't understand why nothing change two days ago but now it's loosing spark.

It's crank but not starting.

I can only think it's might be ignition module or the ignition sensor? How can I check the sensor and module is good?

serial number??

OEM service manual with ignition troubleshooting guide??

basically speaking, we need a little more info as to what exactly you're working on

points ignition?? electronic??

have you done any troubleshooting besides checking for spark??

check battery connection/condition?? loose/corroded connections in the ignition wiring??

anymanusa

Seaman

this same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago and it turned out to be a bad safety kill switch. It wouldn't allow voltage to the coil under 'cool' conditions, only when the weather was hot.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The first thing to check is if it has 12 volts at the coil with the key in the 'run' position....
Could be a bad ignition switch....
Get out the multi-meter & check for the simple things first......;)

jpdragon

Cadet

I'd found the fixed for my mystery no spark problem. The "KILL SWITCH" is bad. When I bypass the kill switch, I got spark from the ignition coil and got spark from the spark plug.

I would like to thanks everyone respond my post in the short time manner and greatly appreate Don for the link to download the service manual.

I have two other questions want to ask:

1. My RPM (Tach) is not working. What/Where can start troubleshoot?
2. The Speedometer is not working. I blow some air on the speedometer gauge hole in the back of the tramsom and see the meter goes up, also use the air blow through all of the holes from the tramsom but the problem still exist.