Parts Motor?

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 85 hp evinrude elec shift that ran fine 10 yrs. ago (in NJ) that has just been sitting outside. Do you think it has any value as a parts motor? I hate to scrap it if someone can use it. Thank You, RR

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Parts Motor?

Craigslist, fleabay.
There are any number of places to advertise it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Don't write it off until you have properly cleaned and checked it.There is good chance that some basic care will bring it back to life.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

I junked the boat years ago and saved the motor. I put it on craigs list with no luck. Before I waste more time on it do you think it is worth anything? It is late 60 to early 70's

yorab

Ensign

You could list it on aomci.org Webvertise pages. People are always looking on there for good used parts (including me). You could probably make more money by parting it out but that obviously requires more work on your part and it may take longer to get some money out of it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it's not seized and turns over, someone somewhere will want it. Actually even if it's seized someone will probably want it. You just have to find the right person.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If the control box and electric shift lower unit still are in serviceable condition, there is value in parting it out. Those are hard to find parts.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone local or willing to travel to South Jersey, send me a note!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I doff my cap and hang my head. :-| Sorry nobody would take it off your hands.

Mas

kbait

Commander

I purchased a '65 40hp evinrude 'parts' motor that had been sitting outside for 15 years. It still turned over w/compression, so I serviced the magneto, carb, fuel lines, impeller and gear lube and replaced some wiring that was rotted. Then I found a '71 14' yarcraft fiberglass boat w/trailer to put it on. Idles wicked slow, tops out at 28mph and is surprisingly good on gas (6 gallons lasts all day). $325 plus my time and I have a really cool boat!