Hurricane boat bilge pump question

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know if the bilge pump on the Hurricane 217sd has an automatic float.

I am new to boating and just learning my way. I've had my boat for a few months but think that I may have a bilge pump problem.

I didn't know to briefly run the bilge pump before we go out each time. I ran it for the first time today and it discharged water for a 10 - 15 minutes. With that much water in the bilge, i thought that the pump would have automatically turned on.

Afterwards, we took the boat out for about 3 hours. when we got back, I ran the pump again but no water discharged.

Question: Is the bilge pump on Hurricane boats automatic and should it have cut on by itself?

FYI. I have a sd217 ob. I take it out once every couple of weeks. It is permanent dock at a marina on the Great Lakes.

Thanks,
Paul Bolden

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Hurricane boat bilge pump question

Hi Paul,

Welcome to iboats!

And congrats on the 217.

I had auto bilge on my 202 fail this summer! Turns out the wiring deutsch connector (plug) was corroded! I bought a replacement motor cartridge, and found the corrosion. I ended up hard wiring to avoid this crap in the future. I also installed a second Rule 1500 GPH bilge with it's own through hull. I tend to like redundancy. If you post a pic of the pump I can tell if it's auto or not. You may see if there is a float, or some are triggered by conductivity... No moving parts.

Do you even have water in the bilge? If no water, no auto pump... You can also turn auto pumps on maunally at switch...

pbolden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hurricane boat bilge pump question

Thanks Bear,

I talked to a mechanic who seems to think the pump is fine. He'll check it out when he winterizes the boat.

Paul Bolden