How would you fix this? My low budget 14" classic

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A little background... I picked up this 14ft 1959? Sea King/Span America boat for free. The floor, seats, transom were all rotten. So I replaced the transom, dug out all the wet foam under the seats and replaced it via the builders foam method. I saw a little water running out of the front section and figured that I was heading for more wet foam and rot. So I cut the triangle piece out that you see in the pic and found a little bit of old mud. Well, I dried it up cleaned out the mud. Can I just put my triangle "plug" back in and CSM over it and call it good? Is there a chance that part of the boat is structural? The boat is closed bow and this part is never seen. I figured if it were strucural that I would have seen foam. Maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before. BTW I love this site because there are realists here. This boat is a real "low budget" project and I'm looking for some safe, low budget solutions. Thanks!

Attachments

• 000_0491.jpg
    000_0491.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: How would you fix this? My low budget 14" classic

It is sort of structural, as it will add some stiffness to the hull, but you should just be able to glass the cutout back in place with no problems. A few layers of glass will be fine, just try to match what was there to start with.

bananaboater

Ensign

It is sort of structural, as it will add some stiffness to the hull, but you should just be able to glass the cutout back in place with no problems. A few layers of glass will be fine, just try to match what was there to start with.

Looks structural to my eye too. Not too bad to fix. Originally it was probably sealed and was designed to provide some flotation so I would put some foam in there before sealing. I would also find out how that mud go in there in the first place. Might need some more interior (keel?) glassing before the lid goes back on.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My original thought was to just make a rib of sorts right in the middle and tab it in. Then just set the piece back on top of it and CSM two layers worth. The mud came from a drain hole in the bottom of the section and the boat was bow down collecting water. The drain hole looks like it was there on purpose.

My second idea was to cut a few pieces to screw to the perimeter of the cut out and then set the triangle "plug" on those pieces and screw the plug to that. Fiberglass over that.

I do have some roven woven left over that I can throw inside the keel.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

My second idea was to cut a few pieces to screw to the perimeter of the cut out and then set the triangle "plug" on those pieces and screw the plug to that. Fiberglass over that.

This method works well.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree..

but after your 2 layers of CSM put your scrap woven on there :)

YD.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its hard to tell the size of it from the pic, but if it were my boat, I would first check for a leak that caused the mud buildup (as was mentioned earlier) and then just put a hinged lid on it and use it for storage.

I don't believe it is a serious structural piece, but then I don't have my hands on it to see if the sides flex when pushed on.

JMO

Bondo

Staff member

So I replaced the transom, dug out all the wet foam under the seats and replaced it via the builders foam method. I saw a little water running out of the front section and figured that I was heading for more wet foam and rot. So I cut the triangle piece out that you see in the pic and found a little bit of old mud.

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' somebody's been there before you....

1959 was the dawn of time for foamin' hulls...
My guess is the box you found in the bow is the original "Waterproof Floation Chamber"...
It's intent was to keep the hull Recoverable more than anything...

I'm also guessin' the wet foam you dug out was an addition some PO thought was a safety feature,....
But of course it just lead to a Rotten boat... :rolleyes: