trim pump leakage

drumr337

Recruit
ok my first post of many to come , I have 87 4.3 merc ,alpha 1, oildyne/singer pump, yes as a new boater on unknown river slamed sand bar pretty hard lost all trim functions, dissassembled valves on the top on resivoir and sproket like mechinism was stuck freed it up and used a little penatrating oil on it , pump now runs like a champ, rehooked system up drained the oil and bought what I was told was the best oil for the system $12 a quartadded new oil and the trim seamed to be working , I ran it up and down about five times , pump started to whine ,I stopped checked resivior , and all the oil was all over the bilge area, as it is hard to tell where it is coming from either between the resivoir and the pump or the down hose connection is this a sign of a worse problem or is it simply o- ring on the top of resivoir,should there be enough back pressure in the resivoir to cause it to pump out the oil any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim pump leakage

hello<br /> now its time to buy the factory service manual. most techs like myself do not dissasemble the valves. if it is that far gone I will just replace the pump assy. if it stuck once odds are it will again. sounds like you missed an oring or cracked one of the aluminum ports or crossthreaded a line.<br /> good luck and keep posting

drumr337

Recruit

thanks Rod for the post , the service manuel was the first thing I bought after I purchased the boat, I was on the same wave length, I was careful not to cross thread , but yes it does seem that it is leaking at the down hose, the cost factor is why I haven't replaced the pump yet but it is in the works,i was looking for a quick fix so I wouldn't miss a saturday fishing trip.too late thanks again for the help :)

drumr337

Recruit

I have spent some more time on the pump it is leaking around the down outlet it isn.t the hose I switched the hoses only to test the hose connection it blew by both hoses I take it that is a port cracked next question can those ports be replaced or does the entire motor have to be changed