quick question 1993 15hp evinrude

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1993 johnson evinrude 15 hp motor. I want to start it in a barrell, using the pull start, but this motor is also an electric start. Can I short together two of the pins in the red wire connector that would normally go to the controls, to trick the motor into thinking that the key is on so that the motor will start? I guess I need to know which two pins go to the key switch.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: quick question 1993 15hp evinrude

Doesn't that also have a button on the motor for starting?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I don't recommend experimenting jumping pins.

Simply remove the black/yellow wire from the ignition switch (if equipped) to eliminate the kill circuit..... or..... if easier to get at, remove the black/yellow wire at the powerpack.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

button? I am not aware of a button....oh do you mean to make the recoil work? there is a thing you have to switch to make the recoil even work. Last time I started this motor, I had another boat with omc controls on it, so I just plugged this motor's wiring into that boats controls and used the key on that boat to strt the motor. BUt now I want to start it without using the electric starter and I dont want to drag a battery out. am I crazy.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the harness is unplugged, there are no electrical connections to worry about. it just becomes a rope start motor. sounds like you are not pulling it fast enough.