Please help identify tach wire.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Mercury 115hp outboard on my boat. I replaced the tach and wired it exactly as it was but the new one doesn't work. ( The original one I replaced didn't work either.) I used the same wires, but maybe someone replaced it once and didn't use the correct one. Here's a pic:

016.jpg

I currently have the tach input wired to the grey wire in the pic. What are the other ones for? I think the pinkish one is for a thermal alarm, but I can't figure out the rest. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help identify tach wire.

It would help to know the year of the motor. The tach needs the grey wire, the purple wire(switched +12VDC) and ground which is usually black. Of course that is only an educated guess.....w/o the year

Dukedog

Captain

I have a Mercury 115hp outboard on my boat. I replaced the tach and wired it exactly as it was but the new one doesn't work. ( The original one I replaced didn't work either.) I used the same wires, but maybe someone replaced it once and didn't use the correct one. Here's a pic:

016.jpg

I currently have the tach input wired to the grey wire in the pic. What are the other ones for? I think the pinkish one is for a thermal alarm, but I can't figure out the rest. Thanks.

grey - tach
red/purple - switched hot
black - ground
dark brown/white - trim guage
(pinkish) tan/blue - heat horn
tan - temp guage

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

grey - tach
red/purple - switched hot
black - ground
dark brown/white - trim guage
(pinkish) tan/blue - heat horn
tan - temp guage

Hey, thanks alot for the reply!! Sorry it took me so long to realize you responded, but I never get instant email updates from iboats.com when I'm suppossed to. So since the grey wire is correctly installed, then the problem must be with my voltage regulator, right?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Maybe....the wiring could be bad as well. What year motor? A lot of them didn't have VRs, only rectifiers.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe....the wiring could be bad as well. What year motor? A lot of them didn't have VRs, only rectifiers.

Sorry again for the SLOW response! I'm pretty sure it's a 1995. The tag reads 0G144441. It's a Mercury Tracker Pro Series 115hp outboard. Did these have VR's or just a rectifier? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can look up the motor on the crowleymarine.com web site and see what it has.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Merc PN is 883072T and is called a Voltage regulator. Yes, your engine is a 1995.

Here is the wiring diagram for your motor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0