Mercury's XR series...What makes it an XR?

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all

Iv'e been trying to find out what the XR series is really all about and maybe what XR stands for if it does anything. What did they do differently to make it into an XR? Anyone have an history on them like how they came about.

Also whats the blackmax series too?

Thanks,
DamianJP :cool:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury's XR series...What makes it an XR?

The XR is just a model designation. Just like Chevy trucks, the Sierra and Cheyenne are the same truck but the Cheyenne had more/better options/features. Blackmax is a standard engine. The XR features usually are: gear ratio,different lower unit(smaller),tuner length,advance boxes,divider plates,sometimes stator size(16amp).Difference between the two?? about 10-15 hp.

j_martin

Admiral

The SR series was marketed as 150 hp bass boat motors, well known to be right at the upper limit of the range that can be called 150. (162, I think) MOst of them had a higher gear ratio, smaller diameter lower unit that made them even a bit friskier.

I have an XR4. Love it.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

as always well said fazt and j.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have read and have been told that the XR engines were saltwater engines. Stainless components where it mattered more. Is that correct?

I do know that I have 150XRi and love the engine. It pushes my sled of a center console at over 50mph and is responsive at all speeds. Love the sound when I trim up and get the rooster tail going- a nice growl that just says "Run Me"! LOL

Any input on that? I do know that my boat came from Annapolis originally and it had the XRi on it from the dealer. (It's a '93) For a 17 year old engine, it is great.

UFM82

Dukedog

Captain

XRI really no relationship ta tha XR. All XR's are carb motors. XRI/EFI same same.

XR6's are kinda related ta tha 150 EFI 2.5 motor..................

j_martin

Admiral

XR2 is a 2.0 liter carbed motor
XR4 is a 2.4 liter carbed motor
XR6 is a 2.5 liter carbed motor
XRi is a 2.5 liter EFI motor.

None of them are saltwater motors, per se.