How to lift the 85 hp Force?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I'm picking up an engine hoist tomorrow evening. Thought I could use it to take the 85 hp Force off the boat. But this evening I checked the motor and don't see any lifting eyes!!!!

If I have to use the "tilt the trailer to get the outboard off" method, then so be it, but it sure would be nice to lift it with the engine hoist.

Any suggestions for using the hoist when there are no lifting eye? I don't even see a place to bold something on. Uggg!

I searched the forum, but it appears the only option is to fab up a lifting eye to bolt on the flywheel. just don't have time for that.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to lift the 85 hp Force?

Buy a short eyebolt at Home Depot. Make a plate with a hole in the center for the bolt and attach it with two nuts, one on top and one on the bottom. Drill three holes to match the 1/4 X 20 in the flywheel top. Screw in the three bolts and use your engine hoist.

Simple, fast, easy, and safe.

foodfisher

Captain

Buy a short eyebolt at Home Depot. Make a plate with a hole in the center for the bolt and attach it with two nuts, one on top and one on the bottom. Drill three holes to match the 1/4 X 20 in the flywheel top. Screw in the three bolts and use your engine hoist.

Simple, fast, easy, and safe.

+1 Worked like a charm on my 125hp

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Anyone know what the bolt diameter is? I'm not at home and will need to pick up supplies on my way home. Will have to find something at the Depot to use as the plate, or maybe use three lengths of 1x1/8 steel bar.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I decided not to mess around with making a lifting plate. Just used 1/2" nylon rope. Worked like a charm.

9943.jpg

emoney

Commander

I'd probably use 1/2 nylon rope.

.....ohhh....nevermind

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

What are you doing with the outboard? Repairs?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What are you doing with the outboard? Repairs?

Replacing it with a 2003 Johnson 90 hp with POWER TILT AND TRIM!!!!

Just got tired of lifting up that motor, and not being able to trim on the fly. So I bought a rebuilt.

emoney

Commander

Well, since you don't need the 85 anymore, can you deliver it to Florida?