kodiak, titan, or tie down?

truline

Cadet
I'm going to convert over to disc brakes from drum on my trailer this winter. Which is better and why?
A. Kodiak
B. Tie Down
C. Titan

I'm particularly interested if anyone has had serious issues with replacement parts or manufacturer's service.

Regards,

-Jim in Birch Bay

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: kodiak, titan, or tie down?

Fresh or salt water?
IMO Kodiak are the best, have has all stainless kodiaks for 8 years and only replaced pads and boat gets dunked about once a week in salt water. Have had two friends with tie downs and both had constant troubles.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

There are so many negative posts on here about Tie Down that I use to feel sorry for them. Until my td's crapped out after less than 2 years on the trailer.

Had to replace everything with Kodiak and I am glad I did. I expect there to be trouble after years because I am not the best at washing the brakes. However, at least I will be able to bleed them because Kodiak uses 2 part bleeder screws that will release when the time comes. And the caliper pistons should remain free and not corrode into the caliper due to dissimilar metals.

And at least I can buy replacement parts locally instead of being told by the trailer parts dealers in my area, (and there are quite a few) that they don't carry junk.

But my suggestion to you is to fasten you seat belt as there are people on here who really do not like td's. They don't even try to be even handed like me..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had the Tie Down stainless discs and they warped so bad that I removed them within a year and I now have Kodiaks which are great.

truline

Cadet

My boat goes in saltwater predominately. I am leaning towards a Titan disc brake kit coated in Silver Cadmium. Mostly because I can get a complete tandem axle package with actuator and disc brakes. Kodiak does not seem to have a package like that. At least if I go the route I am thinking when it comes time to change rotors/hubs and calipers I can upgrade to Kodiak from there.

Good info on Tie Down, I'm eliminating them now out of my search.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I would buy whatever coupler you feel is best and also buy the Kodiaks.

Even if you get the cadmium plating, you still need to wash the heck out of everything when you are done. The disk braking surfaces are obviously not plated so they will really start rusting if you don't rinse them down.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a titan coupler/actuator and the all stainless kodiaks and both axles. Boat stops almost same as truck by self, $$ well spent. You can get GM front wheel drive pads at autoparts and everything else is all stainless and lasts forever.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Titan coupler and S/S Kodiak Calipers and Rotors.

This is after 4 seasons of use;

P1010022.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010012.jpg

truline

Cadet

Thanks for the thoughts. Now I have to stay for this round because the kicker motor had a problem and I need to spend more of my off season dollars there. So that being said, Titan Drums or Dexter Drums?

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I refitted my trailer with 2 pairs of Titan galvanized drums and I've had very good results. However, looking at the previous post I wish I'd gone with discs but I was too cheap.

kilowatts

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Kodiak. Titan is OK but the fit and finish plus the ease of replacing pads with common GM units make Kodiaks the best choice. Love mine, best thing I ever did for my trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have a Titan coupler and S/S Kodiak Calipers and Rotors.

You should tie your brake lines up so that they aren't hanging down like that. First piece of debris like a truck tire carcass is going to rip your brake line right off.