9.9 Evinrude 1982 -- spark, compression, and ?

David Foe

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Many (probably 6) years ago my 9.9 Evinrude died (leaving me in a bit of hell of a pickle but that is another story!). At the time I diagnosed the problem to be a spark issue. I put the engine in the garage, imagined a fitting end for the thing in a dump but could't quite bring myself to throw it out so it sat untreated for all those years (yeah, I know, stuuupid) in the garage. Now I am trying to get it to work again (tried to flog it on Craigs list once and if any of the dopes that called but never showed up had actually shown up, I probably would have given it to them for free!) But now I have need of it again and I have both the original spark issue to deal with and, of course, now I also have to pay the "negligence" premium.

(1) The engine siezed while sitting in my garage. After soaking with a variety of oils, PB blaster, and Marvel juice, it was still stuck so I took the head off and tapped the pistons back and forth with a piece of wood until it was free. I cleaned all the (relatively) locallized surface rust off the cylinder walls and it moves well now with no sticking. I cleaned the cylinders and put the head back on (using the old gasket) and, initially there was not much compression but, after injecting a few cc's of 2-stroke oil I got 120 psi on both cylinders. After more messing about, and with no additional oil injected, the top cylinder is at 60 psi and the bottom is at 90 psi. My plan is to flatten the head (if necessary), replace the head gasket, and hope like heck that the rings/cylinder walls aren't toast. But if the best I can get is 60/90 psi (after four hard pulls on the chord), is there any chance this thing could start?

(2) With the engine unsiezed, I was able to resolve the original spark issue ... power pack provides a pulse to only one of the ignition coils. Both coils work (swaping the B and C jumpers produces a spark on the previously dead ignition coil. The B and C wires disappear into the potted power pack and other than crossing the jumpers, nothing else was touched so it has to be the power pack ... right? The sensor coil has the right resistance and the ignition coils both have the same primary (nearly in spec) and secondary (in spec) resistances. I have a new power pack on order -- ouch, now I'm $80 into this thing.

(3) Huge regret that I didn't just fix the darn thing before I let it sit. But my lowest cost option at this point is to replace the head gasket ($15)/flatten head ($ 0) and retest but if this provides no improvement and the 60/90 psi isn't enough, I am looking at a big rebuild and a fair bit of money for machining and replacement rings and possibly lots more -- is there anything else to try before tearing the entire thing apart?

Thanks!

David

kbait

Commander
Re: 9.9 Evinrude 1982 -- spark, compression, and ?

It should at least run w/that compression. Do a decarb right away, as you may still have rings stuck in their piston grooves. Worth a try!

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

You could just soak the piston rings with seafoam and let it sit for a while and then re-surface the head and replace the head gasket, first. Test the compression after all that and see if it improves before you buy the powerpack. The compression numbers are your biggest problem. The spark is usually something fairly simple like a powerpack. The compression however, can sometimes be anything but simple.

Rick.

Captain

I agree with a good seafoam treatment after you get it running well enough. Those engines run very well on one cylinder so you could probably do the treatment even with one running but I would wait till you have spark on both. Make certain to torque the head gasket properly. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. I'm skeptical about your running it without a new impeller but if you monitor the temp. closely you shouldn't hurt it. If you have success get the impeller changed soon. Rick.

David Foe

Seaman Apprentice

I just installed the new power pack (I ordered it before I realized how deep into my pocket this thing could dig) and now I have spark on both cylinders. Yea! Now I am waiting for the new head gasket, a thermostat seal, and a water cover gasket and I am taking the head off to check for flatness. I can only hope that the compression numbers improve .... Thanks for all the helpful comments.

David