Tarp supports for outside winter storage

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What would one recommend for a CHEAP solution to support a tarp over the snowy minnesota winter? Should i just stick some sort of pole in the middle of the helm and in the middle of the open bow to prevent snow from piling up in there?

Or do I want to build a frame around the boat somehow? I'm an advocate of cheap and simple.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Tarp supports for outside winter storage

Harbor Freight sell cheap, metal poles/tarp storage shed for about $125 for a 10'x20', I've used one for several years now and they're just pretty good, but the tarps are polypropylene and the sunlight/UV eats them up in about 2 years but they're easy to replace for about $50. I doubt the unit would hold up to your ice, snow and wind. Northern Tools sells a yellow waterproof fabric tarp that's heavy duty but a bit expensive(16'X20' $150) that might work if you can support it some way.

shrew

Lieutenant

I made a couple of vetical stands, similar to below:

000|000
000|000
00/|\000
--------

I put one at the the helm and one up in the bow. I then run a piece of strapping (1x3) like a ridge beam across the top. Then cover the frame. the ridge beam runs just above the windshield and slopes down towards the bow. When it's covered it looks like an a-frame tent over the entire boat.

I'm not a huge fan of tarps. Snow and water weight can pool on a tarp and if it freezes can eventually crush the frame system or tear the tarp. It's hard to keep enough tension to prevent this when there is a heavy snow load. However, I've also seen it done successfully as well. so give it a try. It is an inexpensive solution.

shrew

Lieutenant

sorry for the formatting. it looks like everything left-justifies and I don't have a pic as an example. ^^^^^^^

korygrandy

Gotcha. What you described above makes sense. I think I will construct this thing out of some sort of metal pipe so it lasts more than one season. I think if I made it out of lumber it wouldn't last as long.

The tarp I bouhgt is very heavy duty, 20' x 30'. I think if I make the right design the snow shouldn't weigh down the tarp at all.

Mike Robinson

Be sure to build your cover in such a way to allow air to circulate under the tarp.

cadrien

Cadet

I made two poles on the CHEAP. One in the bow area, one in rear. Get a section of 1inch PVC pipe and then get some of those rubber feet that go on table or chair legs. I cut the PCV to length then secured the rubber feet tot eh ends with some silicon to prevent water intrusion. Dirt cheap, will not rust/rot and they work brilliant.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I used 2" ABS because it was cheaper then the 1' or 11/2".
Made a frame,in the summer I just use a cheap tarp,for winter put a heavy canvas(army surplus)tarp,then a cheap tarp over top so the snows slides off.I think some of that house wrap(tyvec)would be perfect,strong and weatherproof,plus I think it breathes.

Attachments

• Oct.1 (2).JPG
    Oct.1 (2).JPG
    122 KB · Views: 0

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Made a frame,in the summer I just use a cheap tarp,for winter put a heavy canvas(army surplus)tarp,then a cheap tarp over top so the snows slides off.I think some of that house wrap(tyvec)would be perfect,strong and weatherproof,plus I think it breathes.
I made an a-frame out of 2x4's, then drape a tarp over it & secure it with bungee cords. If the snow builds up, I just go out with a broom & it slides right off. I've used those support poles, didn't work for me as u can't secure them to the deck & they tend to fall over from snow weight.

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PVC pipe, light, strong, easy to cut and work with, doesn't scratch, can glue joints if necessary, etc....
attachment.php

attachment.php

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome support system for a small boat there pootnic. Thanks for showing it.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello M8s..

I have done Alot of shrink wrapping.. I can tell ya the more pitch on your frame the better ( Im not talking about a 10' pole in the center lol ) but a good pitch to your tent.

We use 2x4 or 2x3 for the poles. we also use Fiberglass banding ( It does not stretch ). I would assume you could use Nylon ( not cotton ) for your webbing and make a spider web from your support poles to cleats,handrails or anything else you find thats Solid mount...

Make that tarp as tight as possible around your hull so wind doesnt lift it :) ..

Hang a few Damp Drys from your webbing before you cover it. It also would be a good Idea to make sure your boat is dry before covering it.

YD.

generator12

I use 1/2 inch thinwall conduit - about a buck and a half for ten feet at any hardware or electrical supply store. I bend it with a conduit bender, bolt and spot weld the joints, and add whatever types of fitting needed on the ends. A little electrical tape softens the impact on the cover at any stress points.

The stuff is galvanized steel - it's light and easy to put in or remove. And you can make softly rounded curves to limit stress points on the cover/tarp. In fact, you can make almost any shape you want. And at a buck and a half each, trial and error is not too painful.

I used my original set in my old outboard for over thirty years and when I sold it the supports were still clean, solid and functional.

In the attached pics, I used rubber covered hooks to fit over the windshield frame. On my prior boat, the supports were free-standing and I used furniture glides to protect the flooring. I've also used crutch-tips on the ends of free-standing pieces. (Sorry I couldn't include the best photos -- too large file sizes; won't upload.)

If you need more info., leave me a P.M. I'll try to remember to check it...!

Attachments

• 100_0062.jpg
    100_0062.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0061.jpg
    100_0061.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0

1960vw

Seaman

I air up two air matresses and lay them across the bow and in the back I air up my tubing tube and stand it on end. Tie the tarp down snug and I'm good for the winter. I get just rain here not snow. I keep the drain plug out whenever I'm on land. Good till next year!

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generator,

Nice frame. I will most likely be doing the same this year for my new boat. I will use 3/4 EMT tubing with couplers and clamps. What do you use (that can be obtained at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) to join two perpendicular tubes without sharp edges?

I use 1/2 inch thinwall conduit - about a buck and a half for ten feet at any hardware or electrical supply store. I bend it with a conduit bender, bolt and spot weld the joints, and add whatever types of fitting needed on the ends. A little electrical tape softens the impact on the cover at any stress points.

The stuff is galvanized steel - it's light and easy to put in or remove. And you can make softly rounded curves to limit stress points on the cover/tarp. In fact, you can make almost any shape you want. And at a buck and a half each, trial and error is not too painful.

I used my original set in my old outboard for over thirty years and when I sold it the supports were still clean, solid and functional.

In the attached pics, I used rubber covered hooks to fit over the windshield frame. On my prior boat, the supports were free-standing and I used furniture glides to protect the flooring. I've also used crutch-tips on the ends of free-standing pieces. (Sorry I couldn't include the best photos -- too large file sizes; won't upload.)

If you need more info., leave me a P.M. I'll try to remember to check it...!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I made a 20ft long saw horse A-frame= and added carpet to the feet to keep from scratching- make it with a steep pitch- and lash the edges to the trailer
with a pack of bungee cords.

simple ,easy to set up/take down., cheap.:D