how do I reinforce my transom

duke1012

Seaman Apprentice
I recently put a bigger motor on my boat ,and would like to strengthen up the transom I will probably have it redone sometime next year but would like to strengthen it up for now any suggestions mainly worried about the top edge,,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: how do I reinforce my transom

If your transom has any indicators of failure it should be replaced. I don't mean to be a jerk but you really aren't going to get much advice on here about how to temporarily strengthen it (that's just how we are). If the new motor is within the max HP rating for the boat, the original transom should support it just fine. If it can't, it should be replaced.

Bifflefan

Commander

I'm with EZ.
If its not done right, and safe then don't do it at all.
Far to many times we can read of people taking short cuts or other things and the reason we can read of them is because they make the newspaper front page with a headline reading "X number of people die and or were badly injured in boating accident".
No one likes to see that. Do yourself and maybe someone else a favor, do it right.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Also, if the motor is larger HP than the boats rating, it can handle poorly due to the extra weight on the transom, and the hull is not designed for high speeds. It could develop severe chine walking, which can cause loss of control and crash.

Just something to think about.