Rectifier / Regulator replacement

Matt Mann

Cadet
I have a 1982 Evinrude 115. The rectifier has fried. (see photo). The one that fried appears to be a high amp model mounted on top of the engine block halfway under the flywheel. I think i has a high amp type because the motor has tilt and trim? Anyway, the tilt and trim doesn't even work. My questions are:
1) Can I replace the high amp regulator/rectifier with a typical 10amp type off of a 1979 Evinrude 115 parts motor I have? It is the round type that is bolted next to the terminal block - see photo
2) The purpose of the rectifier /regulator is to charge the battery? Is that correct?

Any other advice for this small project would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 108_0230.jpg
    108_0230.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 108_0284.jpg
    108_0284.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Rectifier / Regulator replacement

Puzzled because I am not coming up with that type of rectifier regulator for a 1982 115. Rather the round type with a 10 amp stator and separate regulator for the power tilt and trim models

If you engine is not the 82 115 you say or if it has been fitted with a more powerful stator then it has the potential to overload a round 10amp rectifier.

As the round rectifiers are not regulated you could overcharge your battery ( if the rectifier does not fail.

The water cooled rectifier regulators were fitted to later models (1984 >>) with power tilt and trim (together with a 10amp stator in place of the 6 amp stator of non Power T&T )

So if fitted with the expected 10 amp stator you will probably overcharge your battery.
If it has been fitted with a more powerful stator then the rectifier would be at risk

Matt Mann

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Vic.
I am puzzled also. The transom bracket was switched on this engine when I bought it so the tag does not match. The freeze plug on the powerhead has the numbers:
E115TLCR
J041448
Any idea what year it is?

Also: Any way to test or view which stator I have? I bet it is a 10 amp since it now has a stock water cooled rectifier/regulator and is power tilt/trim model.

So the old round ones are just a rectifier and not a rectifier/regulator?
Can anyone explain what is being rectified and what is being regulated? Still not sure the exact purpose of these devices.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

E115TLCR is a 1984 model C=8, R=4

So as already indicated the water cooled rectifier/regulator is what you would expect for the power tilt and trim models.

With power tilt and trim you'd expect a 10 amp stator. ( 6 amp together with a round rectifier for non power tilt and trim) No others listed as alternatives.

The stator generates alternating current (AC) the rectifier converts the AC into direct current (DC) for battery charging. The regulator, be it a separate unit or combined with the rectifier, controls the voltage that is fed to the battery.
Without the regulator the higher power stator would tend to overcharge the battery leading to excessive loss of electrolyte and the need for regular topping up (difficult with sealed batteries ).

So looking into this more deeply I realise you could use the rectifier from the 1979 model but you would need to keep an eye on the battery charging as I expect owners of '79 models have to as there does not seem to be a regulator fitted to those at all, although a separate one was available as an accessory.