tilt trim ,,jumping

duke1012

Seaman Apprentice
my outboard is not all hooked up yet but I need to lower the motor ,,I sniped the blue wire and put the battery jumper to it to raise it and it went up but now i need to lowere it so i sniped the green wire to do the same but now it wont do nothing ,,what could have happened or am i doing something wrong please help I want to hurry up and finish the install so I can get back on the water it is a 1989 175 :

duke1012

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tilt trim ,,jumping

ok so I get this ,,,when I sniped the one blue wire it went up ,,was it because the green one was still intact?? and then when i sniped the green one it did nothing does that mean i have to connect the blue one back togehter for it to go the opposite way??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt trim ,,jumping

ok so I get this ,,,when I sniped the one blue wire it went up ,,was it because the green one was still intact?? and then when i sniped the green one it did nothing does that mean i have to connect the blue one back togehter for it to go the opposite way??

You got lucky - now go study the diagrams on page two of the link.

You have to reverse the polarity on both wires to change directions; that's what the relays do when they work.