fish not biting......

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I fish at Hillsdale lake in kansas, the crappie have been biting and it was good fishing for a while. I this passed two weeks. I been there twice and catch no fish.... My fish finder is beeping like an alarm clock but the fish is not taking any bait. I use live minnows and jig of different color but no even a single bite..... why? should fall be a good time for fishing?

I also notice one thing, nomally the fish take the jig with one bite but in this two week the crappie i got it taking a longer time to take the jig, I will feel the fish pulling on the jig but when i set the hook it will come loose and the I will have to lower the jig down to the same depth again and it will finally take the jig....

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: fish not biting......

I noticed the same thing down here in NC on a lake. I caught a big catifish and then a bunch of smaller ones and the next day NOTHING. not even a bite. I am confused. I go in salt water and they're biting allllllll day

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

This time of the year we are going thru a weather transition..with lots of fronts....water temps change also.....it will great fishing soon...try to hit the lake before a front comes in and you will have a great time.....when i see a cold front or rain front moving in I get out on the ponds..its like the fish are in a frenzy....once the front comes in seems they shut right off and u have to wait a few days for them to get normal patterns again....

Al

CrappieMagnet

Seaman Apprentice

Try downsizing your offering.If you are using a 1/32 oz. jig head....try offering them a 1/80 oz....and even down to a 1/100 oz. until you find out what they prefer.You may also want to consider fishing the deeper holes,bridge pilings,and deeper river channels...as they will often suspend in them.Hope this helps.:D

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

downsize.... that is the thing i didn't do, actually I was upsizing..... stubid me, I talk to a friend today and he also tell me down size... :). will give it a try tomorrow morning.