Enough Horsepower?

bsmith95610

Recruit
I am looking at buying a used 2001 19' Bayliner Sport boat. It has a 4 cylinder engine that puts out 135hp. I am wondering if this boat will be fast enough to pull a water skier on two ski's or 1 ski, or a tuber, or a wake boarder. I weight about 225 lbs. so I don't know if the boat will have enough power to pull me out of the water. I am just a beginner so sorry if this is a dumb question. I looked at other thread but I didn't see any for a boat with the same HP. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water skiing Horse Power?

It will do just fine.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That boat will do the trick for a slalom skier your weight providing it's running good, but most likely not without stepping down the prop pitch.
You can swap out the props pretty quick on those, so you may want to think about a 15 X 15 'tractor prop' which will pull like you need and give you a max speed of about 32-34mph at sea level which is a good pull speed.
That prop will work with all the toys, and you can switch it out with your standard prop for cruising and have a spare.

Alumarine

Captain

At 225 I think it will have trouble pulling you up if you start on one ski from the water.

If you start on 2 then drop one - no problem.

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Horsepower Question

By changing props you get just about any boat to do what you've mentioned. However you will take away from the top end to get out of the water faster. If you're looking to taking the family out and ballast the boat up you will probably want a bigger engine. Now on the + side the 4 cylinder will sip fuel compared to a boat with a V6 or a V8. My buddies 4 cylinder can go weekends without needed to be filled up. My brother used to have a Bayliner with a 4.3 v6 and $20 could get through a weekend. Our Bayliner with a 5.7 V8 will burn through $60 up to $80 in a weekend if we run it hard. If fuel isn't a factor, I would personally look for a boat with a bigger engine.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I am looking at buying a used 2001 19' Bayliner Sport boat. It has a 4 cylinder engine that puts out 135hp. I am wondering if this boat will be fast enough to pull a water skier on two ski's or 1 ski, or a tuber, or a wake boarder. I weight about 225 lbs. so I don't know if the boat will have enough power to pull me out of the water. I am just a beginner so sorry if this is a dumb question. I looked at other thread but I didn't see any for a boat with the same HP. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes a 4 cylinder can do anything you want it to do.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Given enough time and without much more weight in the boat, it will probably be able to pull you on two skis. It might be tougher slalom. If you have 5 people in the boat it might not be able to pull you.

If the seller is serious about trying to sell it, have him/her take you skiing to demonstrate.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

With the right prop, anything is possible.... but you might not have much top end. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder... and I doubt I'll ever own another V6 either.... but a 4.3L or a 5.0L would be a better choice for watersports.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard Mr. Smith!! I have merged all of your threads as you will get the most focused responses and it is easier for those who are looking to help you out. Good luck!

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Enough Horsepower?

I would go for bigger power for water sports; especially slalom skiing.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Enough Horsepower?

I had a Searay BR176 with the same motor on it and imo you're going to want more power. We used to ski and tube behind it all the time and it will pull a tube pretty well but bog down when you really swing it, 2 skiis no problem, slalom if you get up on two and kick one, barefoot if you can step off a slalom or wakeboard, no on the slalom or barefoot deep water start. Back when I had it I weighed about the same as you. You could probably reprop it to help but if you slalom you'll be running it near wot at your target speed and it won't last very long like that.

The answer is that it will do it, but not very well.