Tilt Trim Wiring to Battery. Trying to correct

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1988 Johnson 90 hp on 16' Cobia center console. My battery is connected directly to the engine (pos/neg wires to pos/neg terminal on the battery)
I have been reading old posts all morning and have leared a lot. However, I am unlcear on 1 thing.

but the tilt/trim relay box is also wired directly to the battery.

I am cleaning up some wiring today and wanted to try to get only 2 wires to the battery. The hot and ground leads to the engine. My battery is mounted in the stern near the tilt trim relay box. The wires to the box are rather short. They are also pretty heavy gauge as they must take a high load. The wires from the control box are small gauge, I guess because all they do is send to the relay, and the relays carry the real load.

My questions is, should the tilt/trim be wired directly to the battery? If not, where does it get wired to? It seems silly to run those leads to the helm with the other electrical, especially since they carry a load. I am just unclear as to where else I would attachd the pos and neg cables from the relay box.

Any suggestions are appreciated. If I missed a post covering this already, please let me know.

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt Trim Wiring to Battery. Trying to correct

The tilt and trim relay is like the starter relay. The main load goes to the trim motor and the relay is the controlling factor.