getting old fast - no - it's beyond old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To everyone that has helped - thanks for everything. Now I'll probably get banned from this forum because of this thread but I have to get this off my chest.
For the handfull of 470 haiters in this forum that are always the first to comment about junk, crap, garbage, etc that we have. You know you come off as real a-holes by the way you degrade and talk down the 470 right from the beginning. HELP people - don't degrade them right from the jump. You know there are still some out there that have been well maintained and run great. Sure there are a few bugs to work out, but every single motor out there has some sometime. Yeah sure go ahead and argue "why you are fixing your 470, I'll be out enjoying my anything but 470". If your only comment is to degrade the 470 then don't comment at all. Everyone has to learn to crawl before they walk. People come here for expert advice and knowledge (just as I did) about an issue that they are having and spending their hard earned money on and don't want to be told that they wasted their money and bought junk and they should scrap their boat. I took pride in buying my first boat (as well as others do) and yeah it has a 470 and there isn't a day out there I would think twice about loading it up and grabbing the family and heading out to the lake (exception - small craft advisory).
I guess all I'm trying to say is just HELP people and don't be so hard on them just because we own a 470 - we are still nice people.

honeys money

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: getting old fast - no - it's beyond old!

Very, very well said, just saying.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

what exactly are you talking about? i have yet to see anyone tell someone to **** off because they have a 470. might tell 'em to avoid buying one, but no one refuses to help if you have one.

badkins50

what exactly are you talking about? i have yet to see anyone tell someone to **** off because they have a 470. might tell 'em to avoid buying one, but no one refuses to help if you have one.

Sure there are a lot of great guys out there that will offer to help and I am greatfull for them, I know I have learned at lot this year.

I'm talking about the people that post " of that motor is crap, you shouldn't have wasted your money, there is a reason that motor has been discountinued, of you will never find parts for it, and my personal favorite - I hope you didn't pay for it because they should have just given you the boat with that motor in it.

I'm just saying it's getting old. Thats all.

zbnutcase

Commander

Amen to that. Sure, they have their quirks (find me an engine that doesn't) but overall they have proven to be a rugged, dependable powerplant wholly suited for marine use. And, thanks to all the aftermarket cylinder heads available for the 460 Ford, they can be made to RUN!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My question to the OP would be...would you buy another boat with a 470 in it?

nola mike

Vice Admiral

not the OP, but my answer has been (and continues to be) that all else being equal i would buy a 4.3L. Simply because of availability of cheap parts and particularly because of availability of cheap replacement engines. however, if i could get a 470 for say, $1k cheaper than a comparable 4.3 (that was how it was in my case), i would definitely do it. i would also buy a 470 over a comparably priced 3.0 for sure. and i don't need the extra weight/fuel of a v8 in my size boat.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I have had my 470 since 91 and really like the engine, however it is not a motor for those disinclined to do there own motor work. For example, I would not recommend a 470 to anyone who would not be comfortable pulling the head and replacing a head gasket. Do it yourself for $100 but to have it done, will cost closer to maybe $6-700, same with cam seals, and alternator conversion. Not that any 20+ year old engine can't get expensive. I think it requires a better "mechanical awareness" to properly maintain a 470. Other arguments like lack of parts, is really not a big concern, there are plenty of parts out there, between e-bay and Craigs list you can usually find what you need very quickly. I am just going to keep on enjoying mine, and in a few weeks will take all of 2 minutes to winterize it, and never ever worry about a cracked block.:)

Buy another one? Sure, no sense letting all that hard earned knowledge go to waste.:D

badkins50

If it was well maintained, absolutly I would. But then again would you buy ANY motor that was neglected? I know I wouldn't, unless I was in need of the boat as parts. Sure things can be hidden, but thats a chance you take with any thing used.

So far it's been great on gas and is a strong motor. I wouldn't not buy one just because of the comments about it. I give it just as much attention as I would even a brand new boat - better safe than sorry. If things happen, it happens, you live to see another day (hopefully).

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Understand your plight.. Try having a OMC on here....

Dakota47

Sure there are a lot of great guys out there that will offer to help and I am greatfull for them, I know I have learned at lot this year.

I'm talking about the people that post " of that motor is crap, you shouldn't have wasted your money, there is a reason that motor has been discountinued, of you will never find parts for it, and my personal favorite - I hope you didn't pay for it because they should have just given you the boat with that motor in it.

I'm just saying it's getting old. Thats all.

Us OMC guys get it all the time.. no biggie.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Someone call the....Oh, nevermind......;)

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the OP, and it doesn't matter what the particulars are. It could be a question about a 470 or an old OMC 800...people come here to find ANSWERS, not to be the target of ridicule by keyboard commandos. Like Dad always said: If you can't say something helpful, then just say nothing.

It's not an iBoats thing...it's an inherant problem with all "hobby" forums. A thick skin is helpful. The mod's can't police every thread, but a good, helpful user community can make it uncomfortable for the trolls, and they will soon find another bridge to hide under.

There is always a loud 10%, and a silent 10%. It's the 80% in the middle that makes a forum good or bad.

Just my .02

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe it just me but I don't see anyone ridiculing anyone who asks questions when they need help with their 470 or OMC. I do see people advising people not to buy either which is GOOD advice. There is definitely a difference between the two types of questions.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

i'm sure one of you have read my many posts for help on a 1983 thundercraft 470 merc 170hp alpha 1 i took the chance because the boat it's self is in good shape i did the alternator conversion and rebuilt carb
i have got great help on repairing and winterizing my motor i love this I/O Merc forum and the outboard forum i have a 1980 johnson 25hp yes there is negitive sometimes i just ignore them and read the good one you will never get rid of negative but as long as there is more positive we will learn
i know i'm going to have fun putting in water if it blows up oh well i'll buy a replacement motor and have fun again if i had nothing to fix in the garage the old lady will break my boat so i would do repairs LOL!!! BE POSITIVE

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Yes some people can be cruel. No need for that at all.

The real value of most products shows up when resold. Note does not apply to bathroom paper.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

Like i said there is more help then criticism so as long as there's this site my boat will stay running

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Hi friend, I bought twins of this lovely engineering marvel.I went through the same stuff. First it was buyers remorse because most told me i bought junk. Then i lashed out because i know enough about motors to know i have solid compression on both and i can make them run. You can probably find my thread: no love for the 470. If you spend some time on here you will get to know the folks who can help. They may even tell you that you are not in the best place but most will provide the info you need. Consider yourself the redheaded stepchild of the i/o forum, (no wait a minute theres a few worse than this)but you are still family. They will still help, albeit with some snikkering. You are not alone brother, i still have both mine. I plan on posting a vid when i have them both purring. Good luck bud, lighten up. you will have to get a thick skin with this motor but these folks arent so bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some people have 470 envy.They probably couldn't get one fixed right or just too darn lazy.
I would buy one at any time.I just sold one to my brother and he'd whine/cry
and be real hard to live with if I sold him junk.
Now anybody inversting in an OMC, I'd definatly not buy at any price,even free.Second thought, free, I'd take and sell for parts.J

superbenk

Commander

Meh.

The Internet isn't always a friendly place. If someone's acting like an idiot, ignore them and move on.

I agree with the other OMC owners. Sometimes it sucks owning an OMC, but a crappy OMC is better than no boat at all. Those that say they wouldn't take them for free are just lacking in imagination and ingenuity. :)

(No, I wouldn't recommend or buy an OMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.