Carburetor question

marb123

Cadet
Does anybody know if carbs off 150 black max WH-23-1 work on 78 v175 black max

baja32

Seaman
Re: Carburetor question

If the carbs on the 175 are also WH-## then yes. However you would first have to change the jets, as the jets from the 150 are not the same as the ones the 175 needs.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The answer is no..Wh-23 is used only on the 150hp. You need a set of the following Wh series:
wh1-wh4-wh6-wh7-wh13-wh17-wh30-wh34.
The difference in Mercury carbs is not the throat or venturi size ,its the emulsion and discharge tubes molded into carb.

j_martin

Admiral

If the carbs on the 175 are also WH-## then yes. However you would first have to change the jets, as the jets from the 150 are not the same as the ones the 175 needs.

***Warning***

The carb jet sizing goes with the carb model, not the engine. The carbs, though they look the same, are different in a lot of ways.

If you move carbs between engine sizes, there will be a tradeoff. In this case, you'll probably give up a bit of hole shot for a bit of top end, if you gain anything at all.

Also, the jetting will not be just right, and you'll have to do some testing and piston top and plug reading to dial it in.

2 cycle fuel and air flow is a whole matrix of parameters approaching magic.

hope it helps
John

marb123

Cadet

Ok one more question what about fuel bowl can I swap wh23 fuel bowls to wh7 reason I am doing this is I want to get rid of choke it does not work it just spills gas out of throat of the carb and it does not start unless I spray pre mix into the carb my self so to make things easier I was going to add enrichener from 80's mercury any suggestions any advice Thank you for your expert opinions

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The answer is no..Wh-23 is used only on the 150hp. You need a set of the following Wh series:
wh1-wh4-wh6-wh7-wh13-wh17-wh30-wh34.
The difference in Mercury carbs is not the throat or venturi size ,its the emulsion and discharge tubes molded into carb.

This is the correct answer...
Bet ya didn't see that commin FB..:D

marb123

Cadet

So as long as I don't use the top part of the carb I should be fine? Just swap the parts that my WH-7 carbs need to make it enrichener ready

marb123

Cadet

I give up.:eek:

Sorry man I'm not tryin to frustrate you just trying to figure out the easiest way to get this done without blowing up the motor and go fishing without sitting at the dock draining the battery before the motor starts

j_martin

Admiral

As I said before, the jets go with the carbs. Maybe it would help if you rephrased your question telling us what the problem is. Odds are pretty good the hound is barking up the wrong tree.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So as long as I don't use the top part of the carb I should be fine? Just swap the parts that my WH-7 carbs need to make it enrichener ready

Let me try John... No... There is an air mixture screw under a welch plug that is preset at the factory and matched to the particular version of the carb.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You have to use the entire carb!!!!. If you do not have a enrichener just cap off the choke fittings and enrichner supply off bottom of #1 carb.. Make sure the 175 jets are in the WH-7 carbs....

marb123

Cadet

I have the whole setup from a donor outboard that I wanted to put on my 175 merc and I can tap the holes for enrichener system on my WH-7 carbs and transfer all the fittings and stuff but I was just wondering if I could take the easier route and just rebuild the WH-23 and make it work good on my 175 black max without sacrificing any hp or frying my motor

j_martin

Admiral

I have the whole setup from a donor outboard that I wanted to put on my 175 merc and I can tap the holes for enrichener system on my WH-7 carbs and transfer all the fittings and stuff but I was just wondering if I could take the easier route and just rebuild the WH-23 and make it work good on my 175 black max without sacrificing any hp or frying my motor

Yer gonna lose a few ponies, and have to custom tune the jetting, which takes time and an assortment of parts.

Assuming from this that the whole goal is to replace the choke setup with enricher, tapping and plumbing is probably the best way to go.

hope it helps
John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Agree with Jmartin, your going to turn it into a 150. Just swap the fittings and bottom float bowl.

marb123

Cadet

Hey thanks guys you are the best now I know what to do