telltale water temp

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
Is it a problem if the water coming out of the telltale feels slightly hot? My engine is a 25 hp 2 str merc. Thanks

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Re: telltale water temp

floatmiboat

Its hard to tell on what you mean by slightly hot. How long can you hard your hand in the stream? :D

A nice way to tell if your really overheating is with a temp gauge. If your engine does not have a temp gauge and you do not want to buy/install one you can buy a cheap Infared (IR) non contact thermometer. Can point it at the heads and check their temp aswell as put a cup underneath the stream of water and quickly test the cup of water temp with the IR pointer.

I snagged a cen-tech cheapy off harbor freight for under $30 and it a nice tool in general to have. So far its been pretty damn accurate too for a cheapy.

DamianJP

Mi duckdown

Commander

What year? Does it have thermostat? they run at 120 degrees. I think?

floatmiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,
The temp was not too hot to hold my hand under definitly cooler than what comes out of a faucet. I had been running it for about 10 minutes when I stopped and checked it. It's a 1999 2 stroke mercury w electric start. No thermostat. I guess I could check it with a kitchen thermometer. Thanks

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can hold your hand in it, it's within normal range.
It's pulling excess heat out of the head - just doing its job.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

it should be cooler than coffee and warmer than beer.