Florida: It has been a wet year, mildew-

Tommy in FLL

Seaman Apprentice
I went to clean my '16 foot Larson the other day, and I was ASTOUNDED how much mildew I found!

I wax this boat twice per year. It sits out in the open, no cover, tied to my dock in Fort Lauderdale. I don't have a cover- And while I think owning one is a good idea, I like being able to walk out of my house, down 30 feet to the dock, step down into the boat, lower the motor into the water, turn the key, untie the boat....and be underway in my canal in less than 2 minutes. This is the essence of boating: Shut up and boat! In 1988, I was a skateboarder in Toledo, Ohio and at the local ramp at Chris's house in Temperance, Michigan the motto was "Shut up and skate". Thrasher magazine took my picture there, but it wasn't in the magazine.

Anyway, how do you combat mildew? My neighbor tells me to coat the boat in bleach [which I did today], and then wax it about 10 times. Does a thick wax coat prevent mildew?

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Florida: It has been a wet year, mildew-

I went to clean my '16 foot Larson the other day, and I was ASTOUNDED how much mildew I found!

I wax this boat twice per year. It sits out in the open, no cover, tied to my dock in Fort Lauderdale. I don't have a cover- And while I think owning one is a good idea, I like being able to walk out of my house, down 30 feet to the dock, step down into the boat, lower the motor into the water, turn the key, untie the boat....and be underway in my canal in less than 2 minutes. This is the essence of boating: Shut up and boat! In 1988, I was a skateboarder in Toledo, Ohio and at the local ramp at Chris's house in Temperance, Michigan the motto was "Shut up and skate". Thrasher magazine took my picture there, but it wasn't in the magazine.

Anyway, how do you combat mildew? My neighbor tells me to coat the boat in bleach [which I did today], and then wax it about 10 times. Does a thick wax coat prevent mildew?

Just curious from your post, where did you find the mildew? On the hull or in the boat on the seats/vinyl?