2000 Johnson 90HP Broken Fuel Pump - VRO?

rockfordhx

Seaman
Make - Johnson
Year - 2000
Model # - J90VLSS
HP - 90

Last weekend while out fishing on the Gulf we were motoring around and found that the motor was dying after running for just a second. The minute we kicked up the throttle the motor would starve for gas and die. We found that the manual primer bulb was soft and if we continued to prime the bulb the motor would run fine (even at full throttle).

We tested the primer bulb and it was fine so we are suspecting the fuel pump. About 6 months ago we had the oil injection disconnected and we have been premixing the 50:1 gas and oil.

Am I correct in saying that the fuel pump on this model is also the oil pump (VRO)? I called my Johnson dealer and they said that the fuel pump rebuild kit is WAY too complicated and that they have never had one work. He also said that the cost of the rebuild kit is near the price of a new VRO unit which they had in stock ($450).

What are my options?

Can I buy a fuel pump without the oil injection side?

Anything after market cheaper and still yet reliable?

The dealer made a comment that this is very common and that they used to sell a kit for half the price for people who did not need the oil injection but he could not find the part in the catalog.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 2000 Johnson 90HP Broken Fuel Pump - VRO?

You may buy a pump, VRO, without oil pump unit as long as you keep mixing the gas and oil.
The way the pump is connected to the vapour tank on your engine another type of aftermarket pump, manual or electric might be a bit tricky to connect.
If you have a dealer that is not able to properly examine and rebuild your pump, I hope you do not run into more serious problems!

jonesg

Admiral

I'm in the "keep it original" crowd, the stock pump has the benefit of an alarm system that works a charm.

A guy posted on here yesterday that he forgot to add oil to his gas tank after removing the vro system, now the engine has a clunk.:(

Considering the original pump lasted 10 years...

rockfordhx

Seaman

thanks.

How tricky is the install with a pump without the oil side? I was hoping that the fit would be identical minus the oil connections...

Yeah I had the oil removed by another mechanic about 6 months ago and I dont have of the old parts...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replacing Vro pump to premixed pump.

You can use any of the following 3 line pumps
0385784, 0395712, 0398385, 0433390, 0438559 these are all BRP pumps, there is not an after market pump. You have fuel inlet, fuel outlet, and the pulse fitting, that was used from the Vro pump you will have to make a bracket to mount it on. there is a new pump, that is premixed, but almost the same price as new OMS pump.

rockfordhx

Seaman

thanks !

I am familiar with those style of pumps from the smaller johnson and evinrude outboards that I used to have.

So this would just replace the VRO unit, not the vapor pump and the other components on the fuel component bracket right?

Haffiman

Commander

As mentioned above.
The 'older' small pumps used on the non-VRO engines does NOT fit into the bracket and vapor chamber.
Buy an original replacement pump from BRP. You may get them both with and without the oil unit, your choice.
They will both be a 'plug-and-play' installation into your present set up.
I would advice against doing some Frankenstein pump installation on that engine.
You may want to check prices around:
Marineengine.com
boats.net
e-Bay
and probably more

rockfordhx

Seaman

thanks !

Anyone have the part number for VRO unit without the oil unit?

Haffiman

Commander

thanks !

Anyone have the part number for VRO unit without the oil unit?

Should be:
according to the BRP accessories part catalog.
You may find it all at:
evinrude.com

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace the original pump and hook the oil tank back up.

Why go with pre-mix?

rockfordhx

Seaman

So I am about to dump my old dealer and switch to one a little farther away. I called my local dealer and they were the ones who said that the gas side of the fuel pump was non serviceable and that the rebuild kit was nearly the cost of a new VRO unit.

Called another dealer a little further away and they had me bring it in for inspection. Called me 1 day later said that they were able to rebuild it using part 0436095 for a 1/4 of the cost of a new VRO unit.

very happy !!