Cleaning Tilt Tube

eavega

Lieutenant
I have a 76 70 HP Johnson that I am getting ready to hang on my boat. When I bought the motor, it came with the full steering cable from the boat it was on due to the fact that the end of the steering cable was frozen inside the tilt tube. I managed to free the cable, and in fact have installed it in my boat to replace the splashwell-mounted rotary steering system that was in the boat. As I get ready to hang the motor back on the transom of the boat, I read on another thread that you should clean the pivot tube to make sure you don't get the cable stuck in there again. Any suggestions on how to clean the tube properly? I peeked in there, and saw some spots that looked like muck, and I wanted to make sure it was all cleaned out before I re-attached the steering to the motor. Thanks.

Rgds

Eric

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleaning Tilt Tube

Try a cylindrical wire brush from shot gun cleaning kit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Land N Sea also sell a brush made for tilt tube cleaning.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sorry F-R I didn't realize I-Boats sold those brushes. I deal with Land N Sea all the time.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try a cylindrical wire brush from shot gun cleaning kit.

X2

It did wonders to my tilt tube! I used shotgun bore solvent also to remove the rust, (with rag) then used 12ga wire brush. then oiled down a 12ga cloth, and ran it through, looked clean as a whistle when i got done.