Looking at used boats... have motor questions...need advice please

Scot M.

Recruit
Ok so I doing my research trying to prepare to buy a used boat, finding a large variety and options have a few questions.....

1. What is wrong with OMC engines and outdrives? (read on here that they may not be so desirable)

2. What kind of fuel consumption can I expect with 3.0L or 4.3L in a 19ft cuddy cabin roughly? And 5.0 & 5.7 in a 22ft cuddy?

3. Any opinions on SeaSwirl and BlueWater brands? They have popped up a few times and I am unfamiliar with them.

Thanks for reading any and all advice would be most appreciated. :)

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Looking at used boats... have motor questions...need advice please

In regards to number 1 - it's not so much that there's something wrong with the units themselves - it's dealing with them if they break. OMC went out of business a while back, and it's getting harder to find people to work on them and parts for them. Not saying both can't be found - it's just less prevalent than some of the others.

As for fuel consumption, I can't give you specific numbers, but check around on the net and I'll be you find that there isn't much difference between the 3.0 and the 4.3.

Good luck and happy boat shopping.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I htink the OMC sterndrives are to be avoided, but the outboards are OK; although the old ones are better than the ones built during the financial problems?

Sea Swirl is reputed to be a decent mid-level boat.

superbenk

Commander

The OMC question has been hammered to death. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just obsolete. I have one, it works fine & is easy to work on. I haven't had any problems with it that are any worse (usually much less) than anybody with Mercs or Volvo post about here.

As for fuel consumption - a boat is not at all fuel efficient :)

nlain

Commander

Based on my 185 4.3 and an old 3.0 in a 17, 11 to 14 gallons an hour depending on load and how you run, could burn more or even a little less.