open throttle does not open butterflies 90 degress

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class
TE150SLCEM 1989 evinrude xp tracker 150hp

Ok so my issue is that my outboard would die when i moved the throttle forward unless i apply the choke at the key switch after its choked it runs fine
Must people suggested that i get the carbs rebuilt but first to make sure the link and sync is right according to the manual . so these are my questions

1: the air silencer cover was missing the bottom screw and its gasket what kind of issues would that cause?

2: i did the link and sync according to the manual but i cant get the butterflies on the carbs to open 90 degrees before i started the link and sync the butterflies were at about 30 degrees at wide open throttle could this have been what was causing my issue of the motor dying at anything more then 1/4 throttle?

3: lastly even after adjusting the stuff according to the book i cant quite get 90 degrees on my butterflies the cable when at full throttle doesn't pusk the throttle cam enough to open the butterflies to 90 i adjusted the plastic wheel on the cable but it will not go further in that direction

attached are the picture of my butterflies at wot do you think this is close enough to 90 degrees?

thanks everyone

Attachments

• DSC05664.jpg
    DSC05664.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 7

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: open throttle does not open butterflies 90 degress

The butterfies only opening to 30 degrees would most certainly bog your motor down at 1/4 throttle. Looks to me like you may have them open far enough now though. You could try disconnecting the throttle cable and move the throttle arm with your finger. If the butterflies open to 90 degrees with your finger, there is a throttle cable adjustment issue. However, I think I would try running like it is first.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

1 no
2 did you use a seloc or non factory manual or an oem manual
3 your throttle cam probably wouldnt pic up untill 1/4 throttle and wouldnt open the throttle plate 90 degrees untill almost wide open throttle. Have you cleaned and rebuilt your carbs? If you have to push the choke to get it to run after shifting then its probably the low speed jets are plugged or almost plugged. Causing a lean condition, which can melt down a motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, 90? (full horizontal) is a must.

The throttle roller should be approximately 3/8" in diameter. If it is instead something like a thinner 1/8" or so roller, it was a two piece roller which the outer clear portion has broken away. If this is the case, simply replace the roller. If on the other hand, the roller is the proper size diameter, read on.......

Temporarily loosen the throttle roller adjustement screw so that the cam does not touch the roller, then check the throttle linkages between the carburetors to make absolutely sure that they "all" start to open and close at the same time.

Now, adjust the throttle roller so that the throttle just start to open when the scribe mark on the cam is dead center with the throttle roller.

The linkage between the vertical throttle arm and the cam...... unless you or someone else has changed that adjustment, it should be okay. If it has been moved, the engine idle timing will need to be checked and adjusted to whatever that degree setting is in your service manual.

Check the throttle butterfly position with the throttle cable disconnected to eliminate any possible incorrect control box adjustment.

Let us know what you find.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

On the carb linkage, is the roller and its outer covering intact as if missing the sync & link will be off...

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello thanks a lot guys i looked and the roller is just the smaller little black piece its missing the second part hopefully that is what was causing the issue i was having ! either way it needs to get fixed so ill order the part and will update as soon as possible so others can learn . this forum is amazing there is so much information on here its scary they should make a big book with some of the better and informative posts and the top secret files.

Mr reeves is there a way for me to know if the adjustment at the vertical arm and cam has been messed with i did not touch it but I'm unsure if the previous owner has how would the motor act? or should i redo it all if i have doubts?
i have learned from my mistakes before and don't make any adjustments on anything unless i know 100% what i'm doing or at least research it first but what if someone else messed with it .
is there anyway to tell if any of the timing is off or do i have to just get it all done ?
thanks everyone

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You asked "is there a way for me to know if the adjustment at the vertical arm and cam has been messed with?"

Only by checking with a timing light as per instructions in a service manual, that is you need to know the degree setting (usually something like 3? or 5?) when the scribe mark is dead centered with the roller. However, install the new roller first, then if the engine runs normally, it's very unlikely that linkage has been tampered with.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that Mr reeves that's what i will do
thank you very much! Is there a way to donate to you so you can get a couple beers or something can we do that on this forum?
thanks again

ChrisMA

Seaman

I just performed the link and sync for my 70hp motor, it is very easy, I would double check all the adjustments while you are working on the motor.

Chris

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Chris ill be sure to try to link and sync it myself as soon as i get the parts in hopefully all the stuff that requires a timing light has not been messed with

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that when setting the carb butterflys, it is possible to set them so that they go full open (90 degrees-flat)- then continue to over-rotate so that they actually will close slightly. Check them visually by hand, then make sure they are level (flat) when the throttle is adjusted to the full advanced position.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok that makes sense ill make sure they dont go past 90 degrees thank you

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With those screw heads showing (your picture of same), the butterflies haven't yet reached the horizontal position.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Roger that mr reeves ill take some new pictures of the butterflies as soon as i get that sleeve im missing that you pointed out its on its way i ordered it and should be here today or tomorrow

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello just wanted to update everyone i replaced the little roller and it seems to have helped some but most the time it still needs to be choked to keep running
at higher throttle the primer bulb stays firm i never really noticed before but when the motor is idling it shakes pretty bad once choked and going its smooth just wondering if the two are related
im also wondering what the ideal rpm for idle should be i couldn't find it in my manual i need to get oem having a hard time finding one for my model

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Repeating myself here...... Temporarily loosen the throttle roller adjustement screw so that the cam does not touch the roller, then check the throttle linkages between the carburetors to make absolutely sure that they "all" start to open and close at the same time.

Now, adjust the throttle roller so that the throttle just start to open when the scribe mark on the cam is dead center with the throttle roller.

And as "emdsapmgr" stated previously, make sure that the throttle butterflies are horizontal at the wide open throttle setting.

Sounds like the high speed jets located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers may be somewhat clogged, fouled. Might be a good idea to clean those carburetors OR at a minimum clean those four high speed jets with a piece of single strand steel wire.

The fuel primer bulb (assuming that it lays in a horizontal position) should not stay firm but rather the fuel within it should drop down to the halfway mark leaving quite a bit of pressable rubber. Don't know why that happens but it is normal and is the nature of the beast as the saying goes.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEy mr reeves sorry i made ya repeat yourself :( ill double check what you mentioned i do have one question the cam on my motor has two lines and im not sure if im supposed to be making it line up with the smaller scribe line, the larger one , or in between both? I need a new manual i have a seloc one and it tried to cover to many motors from to many years just having trouble finding oem

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is possible your engine is running lean at idle. Does it "sneeze" or miss occasionally? This is an indication that it is idling lean. A common problem if there is any dirt/debris in the idle passages of the carbs. A fairly common problem on older engines, or ones that were not winterized properly. You may need to pull the carbs apart and spray some aerosol carb cleaner through the passages to clean them out. That engine should idle smoothly between 650-750 rpm, set when in gear and the boat is floating normally in the water. You can't set the idle correctly on the trailer.

oxbeast1210

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my tach was working it idled around
1100 rpm in the water in neutral not sure what it
Did in gear . It's not sneezing but what is the
Easiest way to tell if it's missing . I'm going to
Hook up a tach to it to see how it's doing
Thank you

O yeah and I finally found a own manual
For it so that should help but The seller is out
Of office till the 22 so it'll b a while before I get it
Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It may be difficult to tell what the idle issue is. If the engine is idling at 1100, it is possible that the carb butterflys are not completely closed. If they are not completely closed, the engine can draw fuel from a mid jet, causing that higher rpm's. Have you pulled the airbox cover off and noticed if all the butterflys are really closed, or ajar somewhat. When doing this inspection, make sure the middle carb roller is not touching the throttle cam at all at idle-that should insure that the carb butterflys are closed.