Senior moment....did I put oil in?

sankstone

Cadet
What a terrible thought ! I use my boat so little that I forgot if I had put oil in the last tank full. I remember putting sea foam in my last fill up. I can't imagine I would have forgotten the oil......but I have second guessed myself.
I had taken the boat out twice. The last time I took it out I ran it WOT from one end of our reservoir to the other. When I was coming to take her out I noticed a knocking sound. This was the second outing. I was concerned to say the least. A couple days later I had this knot in my stomach with doubt about putting oil in. Could I have run the motor two time previous without oil ?
How long would it take a 40 hp motor to actually show signs of running without oil? How could I have run it two times before without noticing anything ?
Could the sea foam lubricated it enough to protect it ?

Anyone with such an experience?

Should I add the appropriate amount of oil to the remaining gas and try it again? What if it does have a 50:1 mix and I added that again? Would it just smoke a lot ? Will it harm it ? I have another older metal tank with smaller fuel lines that I could run a new mix. Not sure if I need a certain fuel line size.

Any advise would be appreciated......
tom

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Senior moment....did I put oil in?

To much oil won't hurt a thing, even if it might be too late.

Bifflefan

Commander

Drain a bit of gas and see if it has oil in it. Without the seafoam it will be green or what ever color the oil was. I dont know with seafoam as I dont run it. Never was a need to.

I dont think you would get 2 trips out of it with no oil in the gas. You cant get your car around the block with no oil.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I would go to church today, then come home, cross my fingers, and do a compression test. Best of Luck

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Also Yes you probably could run awhile with no oil. I suppose Sea Foam might give a little bit of protection. When you filled the gas tanks last time, were they bone dry ? or was there a bit of the old mixed gas still in there, Giving you just a bit of lubrication? My neighbors wife filled their 2 stroke lawn mower with straight gas a few years back [ women:p] She got almost 20 min before it seized.. Ive watched the Go Till She Blows competition at the local racetrack on the Eve Of Destruction Nights, where they drain all the oil and coolant out of beater cars and run laps with em,, Last car running wins the prize. [Like $200.00, a half a hog and a case of beer :D ] some of them go 10 min or better... FYI

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when in doubt add oil. agree compression test is first step. but the oil in fuel also lubircates crank and bearings.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No harm in putting the oil in again. Double oil will do it no harm. Take some out before you add any more and see what it looks like in color compared to your regular premix color.
Compression check is also in order.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

when in doubt add oil. agree compression test is first step. but the oil in fuel also lubircates crank and bearings.

VERY GOOD point I suppose he could still have good compression and still have trashed the lower end... Good catch... my bad...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, tell ya what. When I was working at the lawn mower shop, a two-stroke mower came in that the guy forgot to put oil in the gas. I put a new short block on it, started it up and shoved it outside to break in a bit while I made out the bill. About two minutes later it came to a screeching halt. I changed the engine, but I forgot to change the GAS!! My expensive bad.

They won't run very long with no oil.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yet another reason to use oil injection......

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Amen! The OMS may break, but it doesn't forget.