water tube

mackichan

Recruit
1968-69 1250ss 125hp l6, long shaft, wondering how long the tube needs to be since, I am cutting my own pipe.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: water tube

I don't know about that motor, but the water pipe in my '77 merc 1500 had a dogleg bend in it. I ended up cutting out the straight pare of the tube and connecting a new 1/2" copper pipe. I matched up the length, and did not measure it.

mackichan

Recruit

Thank you sir, that is exactly the same as my motor. The dogleg bend coupled to a strait pipe. The problem matching the two pipes and cutting is that I have only the new stock. I ofcourse threw the dang old pipe away thinking it would be easy to replace.
The manual doesn't cover the tube and there is no way that I can see into the housing when I attache the lower unit just to see if it fits.
They don't even sell this psrticular half inch pipe on the web. Any advice I appreciate and thankyou again.

j_martin

Admiral

There are ouboard motor salvage yards around that should have one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Souns like you will need to either find one, or do a trial-and-error experiment to create one. Soft copper tubing can be bent w/o damage. Also the pipe on my Merc was standard 1/2" copper. I would get a selection of elbows and a piece of pipe and do some measuring and some sweating of the pipe, until it fit. The dogleg probably doesn't need to be in an exact place.