1995 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 Transmission issues?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello to everyone,
I have a question for you all. My brother has a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 Extended cab pickup truck and the tranny has started to act up today. Basically it has worked good up to now and it will not shift out of 2nd gear and after it seems to be reving up in neutral when out of second gear and it will not go into reverse at all either. It has 225,000 miles on the odometer. We are thinking a transmission rebuild is in order or go ahead and order a re-manufactured transmission, but we want to make sure it isn;t anything else simple that could be a cheap fix. He also checked the transmission fluid and it looked cleaned and had no burnt smell to it. What are your ideals suggestions? Thanks again for all of your help.:confused:

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 1995 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 Transmission issues?

Pull the pan, see whats in it. That will give you a good idea of the amount of wear. Change the filter and put it back together. Test drive.
Maybe take it to a tranny shop and see if they can fix it instead.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

No reverse is your "clue".

If it was just not shifting it could be electrical, but with no reverse it probably has a "hard part" failure. Something in the gear train has broken or stripped. Sun gear shell splines, planetary ring gear, etc.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it is a known failure of that transmission for the reverse gear shell to "explode". if this is the first repair/replacement of this one , you got 150,000 free miles out of it.

dolluper

Captain

Time to pull the pan off 4 sure...you will learn more by doing that....or a pressure test....lots of things can cause your faults....solinoid maybe with pan off you can check...also solinoid controller...check for power with key on not started

Last edited:

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is a known failure of that transmission for the reverse gear shell to "explode". if this is the first repair/replacement of this one , you got 150,000 free miles out of it.

I've seen this way too many times.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A 3rd vote for the Sun gear shield. Mine went out in my 99 at 185,000 just like clockwork all the other folks on the internet said theres went out around the same time. Cost me $1600 to get it rebuilt and have the fluids done.