Need Help Please

Ok so here's my story, I got a 1979 Baretta with a 120hp mercruiser motor, Stringers were shot, no floor no interior at all and wireing is shot, I got it real cheap and I really like the shape of the boat and I really love to build things.. My main hobby is dirt track racing and now I wanna rebuild this boat. First I want to repaint whole boat, replace stringers and floor and I am gonna custom make all interior... My ???? is I want to eliminate the inboard and make an outboard. and I want to paint entire boat. Any advice on how to convert from inboard to outboard and also on how I can paint boat, as far as how to get it off trailer or paint it on trailer.... Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Need Help Please

Ok so here's my story, I got a 1979 Baretta with a 120hp mercruiser motor, Stringers were shot, no floor no interior at all and wireing is shot, I got it real cheap and I really like the shape of the boat and I really love to build things.. My main hobby is dirt track racing and now I wanna rebuild this boat. First I want to repaint whole boat, replace stringers and floor and I am gonna custom make all interior... My ???? is I want to eliminate the inboard and make an outboard. and I want to paint entire boat. Any advice on how to convert from inboard to outboard and also on how I can paint boat, as far as how to get it off trailer or paint it on trailer.... Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Im sure some of the OB mods will Chime in :)

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can it be done? Yes

Is it cost effective....probably not. If you care to post some pics of the stern and transom design as it currently sits I might be able to help, believe it or not, some of the Baretta boats were made to accomadate either configuration and then rigged and cutout as per order specs.

At the very least you are looking at having to replace the transom and then reglass the area where the "keyhole" was.

My 85 Baretta is an OB but it has engine mounts inboard, the caps applied to the top on the hull are different but some of the internals are left in place.

Again, post some pics so we can see what you are working with.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Personally I'd keep looking for a similar bare hull already set up for an outboard.