1959 Crosby Fish and Ski

Shipley

Cadet
Hi All, I just recently bought a 1959 Crosby Fish and Ski at auction. She appears to be the classic case of a little old lady drove it to the grocery store once a week and kept it in the garage the rest of the time. By that I mean that all of the original hardware is with the boat and no apparent modifications have ever been made to her. There are no seemingly unneccessary holes that have been drilled or patched over. The single biggest issue that I have with the boat is that all of the hardware is chrome plated nickel that has pitted pretty badly over the years. I had one of the step plates stripped in order to see what exactly was underneath the chrome plating. Much to my dismay there were some very serious pock holes all over it in the bare nickel. It would be a serious amount of work to grind all of the hardware down to get back to a smooth surface. My question is does anyone know of a foundry in the Chesapeake Bay area that could replicate the original hardware or does anyone have a source for original Crosby hardware? In light of the fact that no alterations have been done to the boat I am loathe to go with anything other than originally specified hardware. Thanks much.
Shipley

PS. I'll post photos of her soon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Crosby Fish and Ski

Welcome to iBoats!
I'm redoing a 62' Lonestar Flamingo and I KNOW what you are going through. The only way you are going to get to keep her original is 1. luck out on Ebay or 2. Fabricate em your self. You can strip em fill the pits with brazing and then have them re-plated. Might be a bit pricey but she would look brand new. Others have just filled the pits with JB Weld sanded and Painted. I could not do that. Mine were not pitted bad at all so I am living with em. Can't wait to see you pics.

My signature has my thread and a method for easy way to post pics.

NOTE: Leave out step #14 Do NOT remove the attachments.

I learned to Ski behind a Crosby when I was 16 in 1966. Can't wait to see yours.

I'm just sayin...:D

emoney

Commander
Re: 1959 Crosby Fish and Ski

Check with some of your area's custom motorcycle builders. Almost all of those
guys have an avenue for either fabricating new or re-plating the original
parts. I know here in Tampa we have a "Chrome Masters" shop. It's not
cheap, but if you wan't original quality in your rebuild, it's a great option.